Crystal/Fr Dyer Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ABQbaldy
14ers: 34 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Crystal/Fr Dyer Conditions

Post by ABQbaldy »

Does anyone have info on conditions for the Fr. Dyer/Crystal "trail" including the road up to the trail. Can a 2WD get up there? Any creeks to ford? We're looking at the trail crossing Fr Dyer to Crystal or alternatively the more direct ascent just up Crystal.
gokarengo
14ers: 21 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Crystal/Fr Dyer Conditions

Post by gokarengo »

I did this hike a couple years ago, so apologies if this is dated. The road is 2WD only to the bottom trailhead. I think it shares the trailhead with Mohawk Lakes? I parked there and hiked the 4WD trail up to Crystal Lakes and continued on from there. It wasn't a difficult trail but made it a long day. No creeks, but I was there in September. It's a beautiful hike and I didn't see anyone until the top of Peak 10. Enjoy!
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jchapell »

See my trip report for some info from June last year:
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Day 1: Hike into Crystal Lake Basin, Camp by Lower Crystal Lake
The Spruce Creek road was easily passable, but the Crystal Lake (Rte 803) was closed and gated, so we parked there and hiked 2.15 miles & about 1500 ft of elevation to Lower Crystal Lake (which was plenty!). The FYI, with the amount of snowmelt, the trail is pretty wet in places, and in one spot it is a mid-calf fast moving stream (on the way in we crossed on some very small downed trees, but on the way out we gaiter'ed up an went through it). The camping spot is really incredible, with great views in every direction, the lake, remains of a mining cabin, and a fast moving creek nearby."
Photography Website: http://www.jordanchapell.com
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Post by anasarca76 »

I'm not sure about conditions for the trails on that side, but I hiked Pacific Peak last weekend from Mayflower gulch and I was able to avoid most the snow in the area, with a few exceptions. Only one such section I post-holed, the others held my weight. The 4 wheel drive road up Mayflower Gulch was passable for about .5 miles (of the total 1.5) then residual drifting made me park. I don't have a specific elevation where I stopped driving, but I would guess around 11,200ish. I would assume the conditions are similar on the other side, but that is just an assumption, hope that helps!