Treasury Mountain --- Snow Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rhinos00
14ers: 5 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Treasury Mountain --- Snow Conditions

Post by rhinos00 »

I was wondering if anyone had an updated report on the current snow conditions on Tresury Mountain? I will be in Crested Butte for the 4th of July weekend and was planning on doing this climb from the SE ridge approach. I'm assuming there is still a fair amount of snow up there, but one can always hope!

If there is still a ton of snow up there, does anyone have any other recommendations for hikes/summits in the area that would have little to no snow? Thanks!
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Re: Treasury Mountain --- Snow Conditions

Post by gb »

We definitely have snow, but that route is probably fairly clear overall, at least on the ridge. We're planning on skiing a route on the North side on the 4th, so I can let you know what we find (Teocalli might be an option, too)
rhinos00
14ers: 5 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rhinos00 »

Hey GB,

Thanks for the info. If you can drop a quick line on here after your ski trip that would be very much appreciated! In the meantime, I'll try and come up with a back up plan just in case there's too much snow.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

~75' of snow along the Yule Pass trail will be your main concern. Fairly steep, roughly 40 degree slope that you will have to cross, with consequences if you slipped. We put in good steps but an ice axe wouldn't be a bad idea unless you're very comfortable. Otherwise pretty snow free. Have fun!
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I did Treasury today from Paradise. There's a fair amount of snow at the col between Cinnamon and Treasury, and you have to go through it somehow. I booted it but it's quite steep and crampons or an axe is a good idea. There are a couple snowfields higher up on Treasury but they're easily bootable.

I would give it another couple of weeks before completely drying out.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake