Sangre 13ers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
awake
14ers: 20 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Sangre 13ers

Post by awake »

Looking for some suggestions for some good Sangre de Cristo 13ers (or 12ers. Just as long as it's a good hike).

I'm looking for something:

-Accessible with a 2WD vehicle (don't mind hiking on the road to the TH if it's not too far)
-Class 1 or 2. Could do easy Class 3 with limited exposure.
-The closer to Denver, the better
-Not a hard rule, but would prefer <4500' elevation gain and <15 miles
-Fun hike (duh)

Thanks in advance.
flyingmagpie
14ers: 56 
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (23)

Re: Sangre 13ers

Post by flyingmagpie »

awake--
Just wondering why you to climb in the Sangres if you want something close to Denver? Seems like the Sawatch would fit that bill a little better. Lots of fun 13ers there. Sangres are a little more tough, a little more remote, a little farther from Denver. I just did Horn Peak for instance, standard route, from the Horn Creek Conference Center. It was Class 2, right at 4500 feet of elevation gain, and 10 miles. Trail was very rocky, though, and tended to climb straight up without switchbacks, which cut down on the "fun." It sure was a good workout, though. Little Horn Peak is a shorter hike, with less elevation gain, but there are some sections in the rocks that might go Class 3. I haven't done that one, just going from the route description here on 13ers.com. I think you could go the back way from the northernmost Horn Lake as simple Class 2, but then the hike would be at least 10 miles. Many of the other 13ers can be accessed from the Music Pass and South Colony Lakes trailheads, but those roads could be rough on a 2WD vehicle. Do you see what I'm saying? The Sawatch seems to meet the criteria in your requirement list a little better than the Sangres, seems to me.
"I've found the truest paths always lead through mountains."

--Kate Wolf, "An Unfinished Life"
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I'm focusing on the Sangre this year so have been researching this too.
awake wrote:-Accessible with a 2WD vehicle (don't mind hiking on the road to the TH if it's not too far)
-Not a hard rule, but would prefer <4500' elevation gain and <15 miles
Very few peaks satisfy both these, especially in the "core" Sangres between highways 50 and 160. Most 2wd access tops out in the 8500-9000 foot range on both the east and west sides. A few roads go higher but are quite rough. I've seen cars at the Zapata TH, which gets you three 13ers, but wouldn't take one that far in myself.

That said, the trails that lead into the basins are quite moderate, one can cover ground quickly, and if you're up for a 5000-5500' day or overnight you can string together multiple peaks with nothing harder than moderate Class 2.

The accessible peaks south of 160 such as West Spanish and the Trinchera group do have higher trailheads.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Kent McLemore
14ers: 11 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Kent McLemore »

Consider Music Pass Trailhead. A 2WD can make it to the campground 2.5 miles below the TH. From there you have easy access to multiple 13ers (Tijeras, Music, Milwaukee, Marble - though I think Marble may be the only Class 2 of the bunch.) Upper and Lower Sand Creek Lakes offer great camping, fishing, views and climbing adventures. Can't go wrong in there. Lots of beta, photos and TR's on Sangre 13ers here: http://www.13ers.com/peaks/13ers.php?range=sc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-km
tomcat32
14ers: 21  4 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (43)

Post by tomcat32 »

I just did the Comanche Venable Loop yesterday. The actual loop is just over 12 miles but you can tag Venable, Spring and Comanche Peaks pretty easily. The road is easily passable by any car. There are ponds along both trails, Venable Falls, so many wildflowers up high that it smelled like a florists, and of course great Sangre vistas. The vert is around 5K with the peaks and totals less than 14 Miles I would guess with the side trips to the 13ers.
awake
14ers: 20 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

Thanks all for the suggestions.
flyingmagpie wrote:awake--
Just wondering why you to climb in the Sangres if you want something close to Denver?
I've really enjoyed the Sangres hikes that I've done and want to explore the area more. The less drive time from Denver, the better it would be since time is limited.
Tigerbear
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 87
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tigerbear »

Try Hunts Peak. Take Porter Gulch for a shortcut... It will give you a great workout! :faint:
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

I have car camped at Gibson Trailhead for an attempt of Spread Eagle Peak...I didn't get there though because the trail disappeared once I got to about 11,200 ft. But the night before I met a guy that was car camping too and he was going to hike and bag some of the 13ers near Spread Eagle from Lake of the Clouds...I wish I had done that. From the looks of it that is a great way to get some Sangre 13ers....I plan on going back and trying to get Spread Eagle and others from that route instead. Fairly secluded and the view back down into Westcliffe from the TH is really cool at night.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
moose_535
Trip Reports (0)

Post by moose_535 »

tomcat32 wrote:I just did the Comanche Venable Loop yesterday. The actual loop is just over 12 miles but you can tag Venable, Spring and Comanche Peaks pretty easily. The road is easily passable by any car. There are ponds along both trails, Venable Falls, so many wildflowers up high that it smelled like a florists, and of course great Sangre vistas. The vert is around 5K with the peaks and totals less than 14 Miles I would guess with the side trips to the 13ers.
+1. Note, however, it has some exposure; if you're not into that.