Milwaukee Peak Alternate Route?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Milwaukee Peak Alternate Route?

Post by metalmountain »

So I have a question for you 13er aficionados. Me and the GF climbed Milwaukee Peak this past weekend. We ended up without a route description or any real info at all besides a few bits of trip report I managed to print up in a hurry right before we left Westcliffe Friday morning. Yours truly managed to leave all our well prepared route info on my coffee table before leaving town Thursday night, because I am good at stuff like that. So we had a vague idea of what the standard north ridge route was, but we didn't really have a great idea on how to get to it. Long story short we ended up in the basin just to the west of the trail that ascends up towards Milwaukee Pass. Guess we should have figured that out when we ended up doing to some 3rd-5th class scrambling up conglomerate slabs huh? What we ascended could be called the SE ridge I suppose.

Anyway, here are a couple google earth screenshots of the route we ended up doing. It looked mighty intimidating from the ground but was manageable once you got on it. We basically followed the obvious weaknesses up the cliffs until we got to the easier sections up high. It was class 3-5, with a few hundred (at least that is what it felt like) of sustained and fairly exposed class 4. The class 5 moves were mostly relegated to the few areas that felt somewhat less exposed. But its all on amazingly solid conglomerate rock. Once you got through these initial difficulties it got a lot easier though, with an enjoyable alpine tundra walk and a goat trail traverse that avoided some unnecessary altitude gain. We then descended the "standard" north ridge route and found what is the normal ascent trail. Has anyone else around here done this? We both felt like it was much more enjoyable that the north ridge route, containing little loose rock and great scrambling. If folks are interested we can put a trip report together.

FYI, we saw no sign of any previous folks having been on the ridge/face. There was no climbers trail to be found, no cairns, and both of us have searched in vain online to find any info about it. I even searched through LOJ and found nothing. The only mention anywhere of even getting into that basin we found was a mention that you could use the basin as alternate approach for the north ridge.

Keep in mind that the screenshots below are estimates since I didn't have my GPS or SPOT on while we were on route.
North is towards the top of the image
North is towards the top of the image
Mil1resize.jpg (279.3 KiB) Viewed 619 times
View from the SE
View from the SE
Mil2resize.jpg (300.78 KiB) Viewed 619 times
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: Milwaukee Peak Alternate Route?

Post by Mtnman200 »

The only route that I'm familiar with is the one that G&M describe as part of the ascent route for Pico Asilado that goes up and over Milwaukee Peak. Sounds like you blazed a new route and had fun in the process. Please write a trip report if you have the time.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

I don't know of anyone specifically approaching Milwaukee's SE spur from Upper Sand Creek Lake; however, I know the upper portion of the south ridge has been completed in conjunction with Music Mountain. I was told the ridge was along the lines of Musics South-southeast ridge and went at class 3-4 on solid rock. Also, it was mentioned there were signs of prior passage on the Music-Milwaukee traverse. Looks like a fun route and I would like to see a trip report with some more detail.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

metalmountain wrote:FYI, we saw no sign of any previous folks having been on the ridge/face. There was no climbers trail to be found, no cairns, and both of us have searched in vain online to find any info about it. I even searched through LOJ and found nothing.
Welcome to 13ers!
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
metalmountain
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

Thanks for the feedback!

I did find some info about folks doing the ridge from Music to Milwaukee. The upper part of the south ridge (between Music and Milwaukee) is quite tame but further south on connecting ridge to Music does indeed look like a challenge.

I guess it would make more sense to call what we climbed the SE spur instead of ridge? To be honest I am not sure of what the technical difference would be between ridge and spur. We will get a trip report together at some point this week. I wish we had more pictures to be honest, but due to the sustained nature of the climbing on lower portion we didn't get a ton. I haven't looked at what we have yet though, and we may have taken more than I am remembering.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
metalmountain
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

TR is up :)
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Loved the TR Double M. One of my favorite drainages and a fraction of the traffic of SCL. Are you going to put up a TR of Music?
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

You guys are cray! Nice work.
Sounds like an adventure we had last summer, ha.

Glad Bruce didn't let you down!
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.