3 day backpack suggestions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mmueller12
14ers: 6 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (0)

3 day backpack suggestions

Post by mmueller12 »

Hey everyone -

Looking for a backpack - something hopefully within 2-3 (hopefully closer to 2) hours of Denver, hike in Friday, get a peak (or 2) on Saturday, hike out Sunday. Hoping for a lake to camp by, dog-friendly peaks and the less people the better. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Melissa
Shooter
14ers: 58  18 
13ers: 227 1 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 3 day backpack suggestions

Post by Shooter »

Harvard and Columbia, although you will have plenty of company.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

You'll have much less company if you approach Harvard and Columbia via the Frenchman Creek Trail. No lake, but there is good camping just below timberline. We had the place all to ourselves when we were there in August 2013.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Open up your peaks to thirteeners and its vastly easier to find a good location without crowds.

EDIT: looks like the OP is way ahead of me.
Last edited by jdorje on Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Well, this was posted in the 13ers forum. :)

Crystal Lake from the Spruce Creek TH just south of Breckenridge might be good. You can climb three 13ers from there in a big loop (with a class 3 ridge) or two if you want to stick to class 2. You can camp above timberline next to a lake and old cabin. Here's a TR from somebody who camped there:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
turbocat
14ers: 56 
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (2)

Post by turbocat »

Pine Creek near BV...just did a recent trip report. A bit further than 2 hours but nice as an out and back. Lots of peak options.
http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include
Less cowbell...more CAIRN!
mmueller12
14ers: 6 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mmueller12 »

Yeah, I was looking for 13ers, my husband and I prefer them - usually a little off-trail and deserted. Thank you for the suggestions!
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

mmueller12 wrote:Hey everyone -

Looking for a backpack - something hopefully within 2-3 (hopefully closer to 2) hours of Denver, hike in Friday, get a peak (or 2) on Saturday, hike out Sunday. Hoping for a lake to camp by, dog-friendly peaks and the less people the better. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Melissa
Haven't been to either (still new to the area), but I hear the Gore Range or the Never Summers are good if you want uncrowded and cool. Hope to check them out myself soon!
Ericds84
14ers: 39 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ericds84 »

Just did the Gore Creek/Deluge Lake loop a couple weeks back. Great scenery & plenty of peak options. We did Snow Peak, but Grand Traverse, Silverthorne, Hail, etc are all within reach.