Pacific Peak - North Couloir

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Big Schwimm
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (0)

Pacific Peak - North Couloir

Post by Big Schwimm »

Anyone have recent beta on conditions in the couloir? Is there still continuous snow/ice?

Hoping to squeeze in 1 more solid climb if possible.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!
The Mountains make us all feel small . . .
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Pacific Peak - North Couloir

Post by AlexeyD »

Bumping this post because I was wondering the same thing. Guess it's too late at this point, but just in case...
Mike Shepherd
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mike Shepherd »

Democrats North couloir is still certainly in if your searching for snow. Hopefully you find something good. I called it a season just over a week ago.
Friends don't let friends wear microspikes
tauma
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 79
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tauma »

I was up there Sunday from the west. In short it's over.
Dave Cooper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dave Cooper »

We climbed the couloir yesterday. Lots of ice but the exit is totally melted out and very scary. As I told one friend afterwards, "Climbed the north couloir. 95% excellent snow and ice, 5% sheer terror on crappy rock."

I'd say it's done for the season, but to whet your appetite for next year, here's a photo from yesterday. Cheers.

Dave

[img]http://www.14ers.com/images/userpics/20 ... 100106.jpg[/img]
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Is this THE Dave Cooper ? Author of Colorado Scrambles and Colorado Snow Climbs..... Welcome to 14ers.com !
Last edited by mtgirl on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Dave Cooper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dave Cooper »

Fraid so.

Thanks mtgirl.
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Dave Cooper wrote:We climbed the couloir yesterday. Lots of ice but the exit is totally melted out and very scary. As I told one friend afterwards, "Climbed the north couloir. 95% excellent snow and ice, 5% sheer terror on crappy rock."

I'd say it's done for the season, but to whet your appetite for next year, here's a photo from yesterday. Cheers.

Dave

OK, I'm convinced! Might check out the west ridge scramble route instead. Definitely on the list for next year though! Thanks!

P.S. just got your snow climbs book a few days ago - very nicely done!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

AlexeyD wrote:OK, I'm convinced! Might check out the west ridge scramble route instead. Definitely on the list for next year though! Thanks!
Pac's west ridge route: http://www.13ers.com/routemain.php?rout ... 7261840333
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Dave Cooper wrote:We climbed the couloir yesterday. Lots of ice but the exit is totally melted out and very scary. As I told one friend afterwards, "Climbed the north couloir. 95% excellent snow and ice, 5% sheer terror on crappy rock."

Dave

That pic IS scary.

Great to hear from you, Dave.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
AlexeyD wrote:OK, I'm convinced! Might check out the west ridge scramble route instead. Definitely on the list for next year though! Thanks!
Pac's west ridge route: http://www.13ers.com/routemain.php?rout ... 7261840333
Thanks Bill! Great beta!

BTW, I'm not convinced that ALL the snow/ice routes are out this year. I'd guess the permanent snowfields/glaciers of the northern Front Range (Taylor Glacier, Navajo Snowfield, etc.) are just starting to get fun!
Dave Cooper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dave Cooper »

AlexyD, hope you enjoy the book.

Hi Bill, thought you'd be tempted to ski that line after seeing the photo :)