Suggestions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tehchad
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Suggestions?

Post by tehchad »

I've got a group of guys (5) who want to go fishing and hit a 13er. They don't want to drive more than a couple hours and they don't like crowds. After poking around a bit, I'm thinking either Lawn Lake and Hagues or Herman Lake and Herman.

What do you suggest?
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Suggestions?

Post by SkaredShtles »

Pretty sure your "don't like crowds" requirement will eliminate both those places. Unless their idea of "crowds" is different than mine.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

You might look at Mohawk Lake, just South of Breck...looks pretty cool and is within a couple hours.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Mohawk Lake would be super busy in the summertime. Very popular place to check out. Totally worth checking it out on its own though - the higher lakes are going to be more lonely, fer sure.
tehchad
14ers: 13  1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by tehchad »

Mohawk would be good. Couple of good 13ers off of that. Thanks for the input.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Mohawk is very likely to be a mob-scene as justiner indicated. It is *very* close to Breckenridge...
cory1223oh
14ers: 24 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cory1223oh »

I climbed Pacific Peak, just past upper mohawk lakes a couple summers ago on a July Saturday. When we walked by the upper lakes just after dawn we were kicking ourselves for not bringing our fly rods as there were lots of fish rising and taking flies off the surface. On the way back down there were only a couple of people who had ventured past the lower lake. However, the lower lake had over 50 people there. I don't think any of them knew there was an upper lake. We were also the only group to climb Pacific that day. A vast difference to the hundreds of peopke we could see over on Quandary. 50ft. in elevation makes all the difference when it comes to the crowds.
viejo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by viejo »

You could think about the upper Poudre. Blue Lake with Clark Peak as a summit destination, or Lake Agnes with Richthoffen/Moeller as peak destinations. Not quite 13'ers, but certainly worthy walks.