Moffat Tunnel East Portal-Recommendations

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Moffat Tunnel East Portal-Recommendations

Post by bigredmachine »

I'm going to be camping with the family over the weekend up in the mammoth gulch area and was hoping to get away for about 5-6 hours. I've never hiked in the area at all and was hoping to get some suggestions. I was considering James Peak from the East Portal but it looks like this might be about 12 miles rt. Id really like to get up and do some ridges possibly along the Divide that don't exceed Class 3 probably more in 6-8 miles rt. Is my best bet starting at the East Portal or going up further on the Corona Pass rd? Any suggestions would be much appreciated [-o<

Corey
Kojones
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Moffat Tunnel East Portal-Recommendations

Post by Kojones »

It's been a long while since I've been up there, so take that for what it's worth. I went snowshoeing one winter up along a trail that goes to the right of the portal. I got all the way up to what I remember to be a frozen lake/tarn and it wasn't that long or tough of a hike. The hike from that whole opening area up to some ridges could be done, or just some exploring around there would be great. I definitely wanted to explore more on snowshoes, but remember wanting to get back for some reason. Good thing I did because I got back to the portal just in time to see a train approach and enter the tunnel. That was pretty memorable.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Moffat Tunnel East Portal-Recommendations

Post by bergsteigen »

I've done the summer hikes up to Crater Lakes and up to Arapaho Lakes when I first moved back to Colorado and wanted to get back into altitude shape. So I haven't gone up to the ridge from the regular trails before without snow. But they are beautiful trails with lots of wildflowers and fall under the couple hours category.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina