Gore Range questions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Gore Range questions

Post by AlexeyD »

Thinking of spending a full weekend in the Gore Range - probably the Mount Powell area from Piney Lake. Currently looking at two options:

1) Cross Kneeknocker Pass, go north and drop over to Duck Lake, camp there, climb Powell via the east couloir, return

2)Cross Kneeknocker Pass, go east and south and camp at Bubble lake, climb peaks G and/or F via the glacier/snowfield, possibly descend the south-facing G-F gully to the Piney Creek valley, hike out

Any comments on either of these, any variations on them, or something different altogether? Thanks!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Gore Range questions

Post by Scott P »

I still haven't climbed Powell yet ( :oops: ), but Bubble Lake is one of the neatest places in Colorado that I've been to. Thus far, it is also the most scenic places in the Gores that I have been too and it has an isolated feel to it, even though it isn't as remote as some other places in Colorado.

Both of those trips sound really great though.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Scott P wrote:I still haven't climbed Powell yet ( :oops: ), but Bubble Lake is one of the neatest places in Colorado that I've been to. Thus far, it is also the most scenic places in the Gores that I have been too and it has an isolated feel to it, even though it isn't as remote as some other places in Colorado.

Both of those trips sound really great though.
Did you approach from Piney Lake? If so, do you know anything about going back down via the G-F col, rather than back through KK pass?
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

The descent from F-G col is doable but it's steep and obnoxious. Expect some boulders and bushwhacking. If ascending this col from Piney Creek, the correct gully can be hard to identify. At least with KK, you would have a "trail."
AlexeyD
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Furthermore wrote:The descent from F-G col is doable but it's steep and obnoxious. Expect some boulders and bushwhacking. If ascending this col from Piney Creek, the correct gully can be hard to identify. At least with KK, you would have a "trail."
Thanks, good to know. We'd probably only be descending, not ascending (just to make a loop out of it). Or, might just go back the same way.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Both sound great. FYI. just past the falls, on the left is a trail up to Kneeknocker; it's a surprisingly good trail. Takes about an hour to get to the falls; after that the vertical becomes fairly extreme until the top of kneeknocker. It's a grunt! But amazing views.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

That Duck Lake/Powell East Couloir idea sounds real solid as well. The East Face of Eagle's Nest held some intersting lines as well, if they are still in, which I doubt.

Hard to pass up Bubble though. I agree with Furthermore re: G/F south gully steep and obnoxious. Another option is to run to H from G and descend via a class 2 grass slope to Upper Piney.