Rescue on Isabelle Glacier trail?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Rescue on Isabelle Glacier trail?

Post by AlexeyD »

After coming down from Navajo on Saturday the 2nd, we observed a helicopter rescue on the Isabelle Glacier trail between Lake Isabelle and the small unnamed lake at about 11,400'. Anyone have any info on what happened? Regardless, hope whoever was involved is OK!
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Rescue on Isabelle Glacier trail?

Post by thebeave7 »

Alexey,

I spoke with a friend of mine in RMR (Rocky Mt Rescue). Some broke/dislocated their ankle really badly, to the point it wouldn't support any weight. RMR decided to call in a helicopter because they were short handed and it appeared it may have been a complicated rescue. All parties are 'ok', but the photo she showed me of the person's ankle is pretty gruesome (think fat bastard from Austin Powers, but in a healthy person).

PS I was up on Navajo with a friend Saturday as well, summitted around 9am or so via Niwot Ridge, were you part of the group climbing the Navajo snowfield and/or climbing Dickers Peck?

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

thebeave7 wrote:Alexey,

I spoke with a friend of mine in RMR (Rocky Mt Rescue). Some broke/dislocated their ankle really badly, to the point it wouldn't support any weight. RMR decided to call in a helicopter because they were short handed and it appeared it may have been a complicated rescue. All parties are 'ok', but the photo she showed me of the person's ankle is pretty gruesome (think fat bastard from Austin Powers, but in a healthy person).

PS I was up on Navajo with a friend Saturday as well, summitted around 9am or so via Niwot Ridge, were you part of the group climbing the Navajo snowfield and/or climbing Dickers Peck?

Eric
Thanks for the info. We did very briefly see the young woman who was injured, but didn't get a good idea of the nature or extent of the injury. There were several more RMR volunteers still on their way up as the helicopter was landing. Gotta say, it's absolutely impressive how fast those folks can hike with so much weight!

We were not climbing the Peck, but came up about an hour behind the party you're referring to. We climbed the snowfield to Navajo's north face, and came down Airplane Gully.
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

http://www.dailycamera.com/News/ci_2626 ... -Lake-area" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez