Dyer West Ridge Comparisons?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Corndiggs
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Dyer West Ridge Comparisons?

Post by Corndiggs »

Curious to get input from anyone who has climbed this route (staying on or close to the ridge) on how you would compare the difficulty vs say the SW ridge of Sneffels? From what I've found, I'm guessing Dyer is a little tougher. If so, how does it stack up to the standard route on Pyramid?

I'm camping at Turquoise Lake this weekend and planning on a 6am start Saturday if anybody cares to join.
Can't Get No Higher!

"Home grown, Colorado's own. Colorado bred, Colorado to the bone. Colorado dread, I got Colorado soul and I'm gonna rep Colorado everyone that I go!" - Quintessential
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Dyer West Ridge Comparisons?

Post by Monster5 »

I don't recall anything on it comparable or as difficult as Pyramid or Sneffles SW. I'd say considerably easier. A few 3rd class scrambling sections, a headwall, and a small/easy notch stick out with optional 4th (short, not bad). Bypasses available climber's right. Of note - we tried to climb a lower headwall directly at 4th or so, but a number of boulders failed under me and I went for a pitch and tumble. It was quite painful. Careful of loose.

Album: https://plus.google.com/photos/10361531 ... 1194127457

Edit - stayed proper except for exiting the notch (sketch snow - winter)
Last edited by Monster5 on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

One of my friends did it a few weeks ago and called it loose and very spicy. Let's see if he can chime in here.
Last edited by ameristrat on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

I didn't think it was too loose as long as you stayed on the ridge or to the right of the ridge. We got drawn to the left at one point and it was really loose. I don't think it's even comparable to Sneffels or Pyramid (like apples and oranges). My climbing partner thought is was more challenging than the West ridge of Quandary, which I have not done so I can't speak to this directly. I would say it's definitely more challenging than Kelso ridge though. There was a fair amount of snow on the ridge when we did it though so this could've colored our perceptions a bit.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

I just did this a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was quite easy. There was a little bit of loose rock but not in any sections where it mattered. Most difficulties can be avoided if desired.
Not much in the way of immediate exposure. I would say it is comparable to sawtooth in difficulty. I thought it was easier than other easy class 3 13ers (kelso ridge, wetterhorn, kit carson, Lindsay, Longs).
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

When I saw this thread, I figured I'd just post a link to the 13ers.com route description but then realized I never finished it and it's still listed as "under construction." #-o

It's a short route but there's definitely Class 3 and at least one Class 4 move which is hard to avoid. The chimney move (photo below) is as difficult as the toughest moves on the standard Pyramid route but it's short and sweet. The bigger problem is the loose rock.
dyerwr1.jpg
dyerwr1.jpg (210.45 KiB) Viewed 912 times
dyerwr2.jpg
dyerwr2.jpg (209.09 KiB) Viewed 912 times
dyerwr3.jpg
dyerwr3.jpg (233.65 KiB) Viewed 912 times
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

colokeith wrote:I just did this a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was quite easy. There was a little bit of loose rock but not in any sections where it mattered. Most difficulties can be avoided if desired.
Not much in the way of immediate exposure. I would say it is comparable to sawtooth in difficulty. I thought it was easier than other easy class 3 13ers (kelso ridge, wetterhorn, kit carson, Lindsay, Longs).
Ignore this statement. For some reason I read this as Father Dyer. Bill's comments made me realize this is Dyer Mountain which I have not climbed.

/Go home Keith you're drunk :mrgreen:
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

lol

been there
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

ameristrat wrote:One of my friends did it a few weeks ago and called it loose and very spicy. Let's see if he can chime in here.
Chiming in. It's loose in spots, but I wouldn't say that it's any looser than most of the popular class III/IV routes. The difficulty of this route depends on how you handle the last ~500ft. If you stay ridge proper, there are multiple sections that I'd call class IV and qualify as "spicy". If you take the bypasses down and to the right of the ridge, it looked to be much easier and stay at class III the entire way.

I stayed ridge proper, and I'd say that the moves are considerably harder than Sneffels SW Ridge, Kelso Ridge, Wetterhorn, Lindsey NW Ridge, etc. If you take the bypasses, Dyer would probably be comparable/slightly tougher than Sneffels SW Ridge. Fun route though, enjoy!
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Corndiggs
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Corndiggs »

Thanks everyone - I'm excited for this one!

Bill - I noticed your route page was under construction - I seem to be getting out to 13ers.com more and more often now that I'm getting close to finishing the 14ers.

I definitely appreciate all the hard work you've put in to providing such excellent respources for all of us!
Can't Get No Higher!

"Home grown, Colorado's own. Colorado bred, Colorado to the bone. Colorado dread, I got Colorado soul and I'm gonna rep Colorado everyone that I go!" - Quintessential
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Thanks!

I do try hard to get stuff out there on both sites. Right now I'm working on the North Ridge route on 13er Gladstone Peak...