Road to Music Pass Trailhead a Muddy Mess

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
flyingmagpie
14ers: 56 
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (23)

Road to Music Pass Trailhead a Muddy Mess

Post by flyingmagpie »

Yesterday, August 12, a buddy and I did the Marble Mountain summit loop (see JimR's trip report on Marble on 13ers.com). We reversed the route, going first over Music Pass and descending into the Sand Creek valley, climbing to Cottonwood Pass, following the ridge first to the summit and then back to Music Pass and out. The incredible views made up for the effort of putting in such a long day of climbing/hiking. The weather luckily held the long while we were on the ridge. Music Pass is the gateway for a number of great 13er climbs, including Cleveland, Tijeras, Music, and Milwaukee Peaks, and Pico Aislado, among others. For those of you who are considering driving to the upper 4WD trailhead to reach Music Pass, I would urge you to change your plans. Midway up the road, the mud is almost impassable. I drive a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door) with 32" tires for high clearance, and I almost didn't make it through. I live in Silver Cliff, and I have been driving this road many times each summer for climbing and fishing. I have never seen the road this bad. In the Sand Creek valley, we ran into a Park Ranger who was hiking out, and he told us he had never seen the road this bad, either. He said a number of people trying to get up the road this past weekend (August 9,10) had gotten stuck in the mud. It will be a while before this road dries, and if the Sangres keep getting rain, maybe a long while. For those of you who think you can drive through the mud just fine, I will say that the only way I did it, up and down, was hitting the puddles at sufficient speed and engine rpm's that momentum carried me through. The "puddles" aren't water, but thick sloppy muck that has been churned up by spinning tires. They are deep enough that even with my 32" tires I was bottoming out. My fear, after I had made it up OK, was that some other vehicle would get stuck while we were climbing and block the road, trapping us on the far side. My Jeep doesn't have a winch, so both we and the other vehicle would have been out of luck until some other Jeep with a winch came up the road. Once again, if you are going to Music Pass,I would change your plans, or at least postpone your trip until the mud dries, or consider parking low and hiking up the road, adding many miles to your climb. Seeing other JEEPS pulled off the road and parked was my first clue that something was wrong.
"I've found the truest paths always lead through mountains."

--Kate Wolf, "An Unfinished Life"
k-berger
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 30 8 2
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Road to Music Pass Trailhead a Muddy Mess

Post by k-berger »

Well, glad I stumbled upon this post, we are planning a trip in this area for the weekend. Any more recent conditions reports? Tried calling the rangers today with no answer. Any recent info would be appreciated....
flyingmagpie
14ers: 56 
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (23)

Post by flyingmagpie »

k-berger:

I hope someone has some more recent information. I posted the topic a week ago, and there could have been some significant drying in the meanwhile. It was pretty bad a week ago! Because the other side of Music Pass is in the Great Sand Dunes National Preserve, there are two sets of rangers working the area. Forest Service Rangers are in charge of the road. Great Sand Dunes NP Rangers are in charge of the Sand Creek valley. You could try calling both sets of rangers.
Last edited by flyingmagpie on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I've found the truest paths always lead through mountains."

--Kate Wolf, "An Unfinished Life"
k-berger
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 30 8 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by k-berger »

Thanks magpie. I tried all the rangers, got pushed around to several offices. The office that will have the best info is not answering the phones.

Either way, we are going to give it a look. Worse comes to worse we walk some extra miles....