US Grant Peak- EAST ridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

US Grant Peak- EAST ridge

Post by djkest »

The standard way to climb is the SW ridge, but it's got a pretty gnarly crux section that gives me the creeps. The East ridge can be accessed by nice friendly trails and appears to "go" at class 3 the whole way, with more moderate exposure. However, it involves more class 3 climbing and more off-trail climbing than the SW ridge. So easier but longer.

This is the only information I can find here, and I haven't found any trip reports on this route. Anyway have experience with this, or can point out to me how dumb I am for missing some trip reports? I have looked around.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
CarpeDM
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 350 13
Trip Reports (10)

Re: US Grant Peak- EAST ridge

Post by CarpeDM »

Here are a couple that might help:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was assured just this past weekend that the crux of the SW ridge isn't bad.
"This route is awesome; you can bring all your favorite holds home with you!" - Cedar Wright
"I just wanna live the life I please; I don't want no enemies; I don't want nothing if I have to fake it
Never take nothing don't belong to me; everything's paid for; nothing's free; If I give my heart will you promise not to break it?" - Lucinda Williams
colluvium
14ers: 10 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (0)

Re: US Grant Peak- EAST ridge

Post by colluvium »

See also:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43699&p=532980&hilit=us+grant#p532980

Based partially on the above we went up and down the the east ridge earlier this summer. It definitely goes class 3, not terribly exposed, with maybe one or two >3 type moves. It is a typical San Juan rubble pile though, no way around that. As I recall the route shown in red near the "class 4 crux" did cross one notch loaded with good size rocks, so take care where you linger. Otherwise, we found it a sweet approach and climb from the north (ophir). Enjoy!