San Juan Weather: Dallas & Teakettle

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
alexhenes
14ers: 58  18  5 
13ers: 720 60 5
Trip Reports (72)

San Juan Weather: Dallas & Teakettle

Post by alexhenes »

Getting pretty stoked on the San Juan weather forecast for Thursday through the weekend. Until I saw the amount of rain and flash flood warnings. We are planning on Dallas and Teakettle this for Thursday and Friday. Anyone have first hand info on the conditions? Snow on the peaks? How do these mountains take water... will they be more apt to slide? Any info is appreciated... don't want to make the drive and get skunked
WarDamnPanic
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (10)

Re: San Juan Weather: Dallas & Teakettle

Post by WarDamnPanic »

Looks like the Telluride peaks got snow today. From Telluride FB page :

From our webcam, it looks like Dallas is getting some precip right now
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

I can't tell you specifically on Dallas/Teakettle, but the Lake City area 13ers and 14ers received only a dusting above 13,500. The temperature was too warm and it was virtually all rain. SJ Ron :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

I did Rolling (and V9) today and am posting from Telluride. Some snow on northern aspects is still there if the sun didn't get to it today. No more than a dusting. A lot of dirt was still soft in the afternoon. Verrrrrrrry sketchy coming down the northwest ridge of Rolling, one of the scarier descents I've done actually.

The Sneffels group was too far away to see snow, but Vermilion had plenty of it, and oh my god is that a beautiful mountain with a dusting of snow and a blue sky.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
KTC88
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (1)

Post by KTC88 »

Alex - if you ended up climbing Dallas on Thursday, please post on the current conditions if you can. I'm planning to climb it on Saturday.

Thanks!
alexhenes
14ers: 58  18  5 
13ers: 720 60 5
Trip Reports (72)

Post by alexhenes »

A little late... But as you know by now weather and route were perfect. We summited Teakettle and Coffee Pot on Friday and Vermilion in Saturday. Pictures to come later this week.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Alex: Nice meeting you and your wife on the TK trip, gald to see you top out on Coffeepot as well. Agreed, the conditions were perfect, bone dry.
-Tom