Gores with Dog

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Gores with Dog

Post by highplaces »

I know we aren’t supposed to talk about these mountains, but I’m hoping to get some ideas for dog friendly hikes in the Gores. The dog is fine up to high 2/low 3. That is limiting in the Gores. Have done Silverthorne, Red Peak, Uneva Pass to U. Peak, Elliot Ridge to Meridian, Eccles/Deming. Looking for similar type terrain that I can bring the dog on. Most of the stuff I've researched is beyond what I'd bring her on. Thanks!
DoctorBreaks
14ers: 33  5 
13ers: 6 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Gores with Dog

Post by DoctorBreaks »

Why can't we talk about the Gores?
Lol
"Mountains are not Stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."

-Anatoli Boukreev

Be humble enough to respect the mountain, but confident enough to climb it.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

DoctorBreaks wrote:Why can't we talk about the Gores?
Lol
What happens in the Gores... stays in the Gores. :mrgreen:
zrsimpson
14ers: 37 
13ers: 110
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zrsimpson »

Vista Point and Mt. Solitude are good hikes with a dog. Mine can do the same as you, and those weren't a problem.
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

Route to Grand Traverse Pk. is mostly trail with a short tundra slope and some scrambly talus near the end.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

How about Zodiac traverse, or Ripsaw Ridge?

I jest, of course. I am a big fan of the Upper Cataract loop that covers Surprise Lake, though it's primarily woods walking. My friend raves about Upper Cataract Lake (spur off loop).

It's not technically the Gores, but the hike up to Ptarmigan involves a long gentle slope above treeline with very good views. Ute Peak to the north has some interesting terrain on its rock bump. Awesome views of the north Gores from Ute Peak.
please rotate your device
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Zodiac View was sweet with our pups. Others we have brought Rainier and/or Kona on are Snow, Valhalla, Spider & Fly (tougher class 3), Climbers & Skiers Points, Solitude, & Bald Mtn.
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Powell is a good one as well we've done with Rainier & Kona.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

jbchalk wrote:Zodiac View was sweet with our pups. Others we have brought Rainier and/or Kona on are Snow, Valhalla, Spider & Fly (tougher class 3), Climbers & Skiers Points, Solitude, & Bald Mtn.
Brandon - your dogs climb better than I do! :lol: Hmmm... Come to think of it - given my abilities, that's probably not saying much.. :)
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Wingle Ridge is similar terrain to the Elliot Ridge and might be a good choice.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Jay521 wrote:
jbchalk wrote:Zodiac View was sweet with our pups. Others we have brought Rainier and/or Kona on are Snow, Valhalla, Spider & Fly (tougher class 3), Climbers & Skiers Points, Solitude, & Bald Mtn.
Brandon - your dogs climb better than I do! :lol: Hmmm... Come to think of it - given my abilities, that's probably not saying much.. :)
Don't kid yourself, Jay. That's sayin' a lot! You the man! Ole Rainie ain't climbing what she used to, but she sure is sweeter than anything.
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Thanks everyone, I'll look into these.