Sundog, up or down?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Sundog, up or down?

Post by SikYou »

I'm looking at adding Sundog to an upcoming trip and I'd like some opinions on whether to ascend or descend the north ridge. I'll be completing a loop with Sunshine and Redcloud as the primary objective but it looks like Sundog would be a great addition to this trip. I can't find a ton of info on this 13er but it looks like most people descend the north ridge. I would rather get the more difficult terrain done early in the day so it seems logical to ascend the north ridge then stroll down the nice standard trail from Redcloud. Any thoughts?
I'm slower than Scott P.
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Sundog, up or down?

Post by anasarca76 »

I did this loop a few years ago and it was pretty cool! I went up the standard for Redcloud, then over to Sunshine, then down the northwest ridge of Sunshine to Sundog and continued on down the ridge to the main trail. Coming down off Sunshine is loose and slippery, but not too bad if you take your time. Going up the ridge to Sundog and the remainder of the ridge was pretty fun, but did have some loose stuff mixed in on the way down. I liked this route option way better than traversing back over to Redcloud. There are a few signs that say you shouldn't go down into the basin between Sundog and Redcloud, and looking back on the route, I can see why. It is very loose and erosion is pretty bad. I stuck up to the ridge coming off Sunshine and it was a bit more solid, I didn't feel that I was contributing to the erosion the sign was meant to prevent and it was also the most direct route to Sundog. I could see this route working in either direction really, you just have to decide if you want to go up or down the northwest ridge of Sunshine as its the most difficult part of the route IMO. Hope this helps!

Randy
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

I personally find it easier to descend loose terrain than to go up it. So the descent from Sunshine to Sundog was easier than the reverse. Plus I also find it easier to bushwhack at the end with daylight, than in the dark. You could easily waste time navigating in the dark up Sundog. Much easier to zone out in the morning and just cruise up the trail to Redcloud.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Post by anasarca76 »

Bergsteigen made a very good point about the dark! I hadnt thought about that. Considering that input I would agree that putting Sundog at the end of the loop is the way to go. Enjoy!
acidchylde
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by acidchylde »

We took it down the one time I've done it. I don't remember anything particularly difficult about it, though I definitely remember those signs warning not to descend into the valley from there. It's been a while, but I just remember a fairly long hike along a rather broad ridge and some mild bushwhacking once you got down toward tree line. Mostly a wander/meander as opposed to really bushwhacking, but I find that easier to do going downhill than up. There have been a couple of times I've hit nearby peaks on the way up instead of down, but I usually shoot for the target first unless I'm not coming back the same way. That way if something goes wrong - weather shifts, end up getting tired, etc. - I've at least done what I set out to do. I've hit Redcloud a few times and ended up having to bail on Sunshine because of a late start or bad weather.
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

If I make it to the Fall Gathering my agenda will most likely be up Redcloud to Sunshine to Sundog and down to the parking lot. I have descended the area between Sunshine and Redcloud in the past and it was o.k. but there was quite a bit of snow when I did it so I'm sure that helped. It is cliffy if you take that directly down so I angled to the far right to avoid the cliffs. I have wanted to go back and descend via Sundog since then. I agree that taking the trail up in the dark would be my preference.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz