Weekend 13er With Novices

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ericds84
14ers: 39 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Weekend 13er With Novices

Post by Ericds84 »

I took a friend up his first peak (Democrat) back in August and he's tasked me with doing a second climb this weekend. I'd like to climb something nearby that's also new for me, which rules out the majority of Front Range, Sawatch & Mosquito range 14ers. Any recommendations for a beginner-friendly 13er with easy road access that's relatively close to Denver?
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Weekend 13er With Novices

Post by sunny1 »

Several options come to mind. Here are a couple of close to Denver ones that look new to you. You can search the 13ers.com link to get more info about them.

Cupid and Grizzly D from Loveland Pass
Parnassus and Bard from the Herman Gulch exit on I 70.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Another one that is easy access but is a little farther afield is Mt Arkansas. Climbed it last Dec and it was a blast! Quick and Easy with spectacular views.

Here is the TR I did on it. http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
quackquackcolorado
14ers: 58 
13ers: 228
Trip Reports (0)

Post by quackquackcolorado »

My recommendations:

Rosalie Peak from Deer Creek TH
Hassell Peak from Herman Gulch TH
Whale Peak from Georgia Pass
Ruby Mtn A from Argentine Pass TH

Pacific Peak from Spruce Creek TH - this is more intermediate, but it's an awesome basin!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Mt. Flora from Berthoud Pass might be a good choice.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Ericds84 wrote:I'd like to climb something nearby that's also new for me, which rules out the majority of Front Range, Sawatch & Mosquito range. Any recommendations for a beginner-friendly 13er with easy road access that's relatively close to Denver?
Ruling out those ranges makes it a bit difficult to keep it close to Denver, too. My only thought would be West Spanish Peak. There are several TR's on it on this site and it is a pretty easy climb. If you want something a little tougher, you could do East Spanish Peak but it's a 12er...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

sunny1 wrote:Several options come to mind. Here are a couple of close to Denver ones that look new to you. You can search the 13ers.com link to get more info about them.

Cupid and Grizzly D from Loveland Pass.
Or, take a left turn at Point 12,915' and head for Mount Sniktau.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Grizzley becomes ice-technical after a few snow falls. But that should be obvious as you leave the Cupid tundra.

Berthod Pass mountains can have avy issues.
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

peter303 wrote:Grizzley becomes ice-technical after a few snow falls.
What is your definition of "ice-technical?" I'm pretty sure Grizzly does not meet any standard definition of it.

To the OP:

North Star Mountain (just south of Quandary, west from Hoosier Pass) will give you a pretty gentle high-altitude stroll with good views of the surrounding peaks.
Hoosier Ridge from Hoosier Pass is a similar high-altitude stroll, with the option of adding on Mt. Silverheels.
Mt. Arkansas just south of Climax Mine and Fremont Pass, although it will offer some easy class 3 options.
Geneva, Santa Fe, Sullivan, Landslide - all from Montezuma, and all very very easy. You can drive quite high on these, depending on conditions and vehicle comfort.
Mt. Tweto is a nice out-and-back from the east side of Mosquito Pass. You get there by driving just south of Alma and then heading towards Mosquito Pass. You have the option of adding on a few more peaks, too (Treasurevault, Mosquito, the newly-minted "Kuss" Peak, and London Mountain).
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

There shouldn't be many avy issues on the standard route to Mt Flora unless you get off route or something. I doubt the avy danger is high on the standard route right now (though one should always check this for yourself).
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
tdliles
14ers: 33 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (2)

Post by tdliles »

How about Horseshoe/Peerless/Sheridan. Horseshoe must be one of the easiest centennials, with 2wd drive access (providing the road is not snowed in...).
Tom and Stef
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Scott P wrote:
There shouldn't be many avy issues on the standard route to Mt Flora unless you get off route or something. I doubt the avy danger is high on the standard route right now (though one should always check this for yourself).
I drove over Berthoud Pass yesterday, and it didn't appear to have enough snow to have avy issues....
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"