South/North Arapahoe condtions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tommelch
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

South/North Arapahoe condtions

Post by tommelch »

Considering climbing South Arapahoe / North Arapahoe in IPW from the 4th of July trailhead on Sat. 10/18.
Any information on recent trail conditions and snow levels would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
moneymike
14ers: 57  57  9 
13ers: 132 123 39
Trip Reports (46)

Re: South/North Arapahoe condtions

Post by moneymike »

Check out Bergsteigen's most recent trip report. We were on Navajo last Monday. The visibility was too low to see Arapahoe, but I imagine the snow conditions will be similar.
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford

"Slow and steady wins the race (unless you're racing someone who is fast and steady)."
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

tommelch wrote:Considering climbing South Arapahoe / North Arapahoe in IPW from the 4th of July trailhead on Sat. 10/18.
Any information on recent trail conditions and snow levels would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
From my daily Boulder-Lafayette commute, they still looked very wintery as of this morning. More so than Longs or Audobon. However, the snow line seems to have retreated some from where it was a couple days ago; it now looks to be mostly above treeline.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Tony was up there before last weekend's storm (photos at end of post):

http://www.antonkrupicka.com/blog/back-to-co-101-12/
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 57 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

tommelch wrote:Considering climbing South Arapahoe / North Arapahoe in IPW from the 4th of July trailhead on Sat. 10/18.
Thanks in advance!
did you head to s and n Arapahoe this past Saturday? I'm considering trying this ridge this upcoming weekend and would love to know the conditions
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Hiked S. Arapahoe on Saturday. The summit pyramid only had patchy snow that was very soft and unconsolidated in the warm afternoon sun. The traverse itself (which we didn't do) looked more snowy, and several people who had attempted it reported sketchy (i.e. unstable) snow conditions. With how warm it's been, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the snow is gone by now, at least on the sun-exposed aspects. This will be short-lived, however, as more is expected Tues-Wed.
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 57 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

AlexeyD wrote:Hiked S. Arapahoe on Saturday. The summit pyramid only had patchy snow that was very soft and unconsolidated in the warm afternoon sun. The traverse itself (which we didn't do) looked more snowy, and several people who had attempted it reported sketchy (i.e. unstable) snow conditions. With how warm it's been, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the snow is gone by now, at least on the sun-exposed aspects. This will be short-lived, however, as more is expected Tues-Wed.
thank you, I think I'll plan on s Arapahoe and play the scramble to north by ear for next weekend
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

I climbed Neva Sunday and got a good look at the traverse. Still a fair amount of snow remaining, and despite the sun, most of the snow at 12k wasn't going anywhere. Conditions were mixed from wind pack to sugar on slab. Def be careful on the snow as its super I consists right now. The snow is here to stay up high.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs