Sniktau this weekend as possible 1st winter peak?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Sniktau this weekend as possible 1st winter peak?

Post by rdp32 »

Hello all, I'm itching to go hiking this Friday and was wondering if anyone knows the current conditions for Sniktau. I've never done any real winter peaks (I did Quandary a month ago for the 2014 Winter Welcomer but it was relatively warm that day), so I have a few questions:

Does anyone know how well they clear off the road up to Loveland Pass (HW 6)? I have a subaru outback but no snow tires or chains, so I want to avoid driving on ice.

I've read that Sniktau is generally safe in winter if you stick to the ridge proper and avoid the cornices. I assume that is pretty easy to do and that is the only thing to be aware of?

My impression is that snowshoes are probably not needed? I have both microspikes and snowshoes.

Thanks!
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Sniktau this weekend as possible 1st winter peak?

Post by speth »

Sniktau is incredibly easy. If you could do Quandary in snow, you'll have no peoblem with Sniktau.

Hwy 6 is a state highway and it's open rear-round except during incliment weather.

You won't need snowshoes. Maybe microspikes. Stay on rocks and far, far back from any cornies that start to form. I believe cornices will form on "climbers" right and skiers left.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks for the reply. So should my rule of thumb be to walk on only visible rocks on the ridge and no deeper snow? Is it probably windswept enough for that to be possible? Hearing about those cornices makes me nervous...

Also, if the weather.gov forecast for Loveland Pass is "Partly sunny, with a high near 30. West wind 7 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.", then how much windier do you expect it would be on the ridge itself?

Thanks again. Sorry about the newbie questions, but, well, I'm a newbie to this winter hiking thing
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

The forecast is probably close to right on. Prepare for it to be windy.

The left side should be windswept, and the deposit should be on the right. Just use common sense and stay back from deeper snow. That doesn't mean to have to walk on rocks, but use your heads and don't approach any cornice.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

speth wrote:Sniktau is incredibly easy. If you could do Quandary in snow, you'll have no peoblem with Sniktau.

Hwy 6 is a state highway and it's open rear-round except during incliment weather.

You won't need snowshoes. Maybe microspikes. Stay on rocks and far, far back from any cornies that start to form. I believe cornices will form on "climbers" right and skiers left.
+1 spot on. The ridge will be windswept most of the way and will be apparent if you're on the cornice or not on the cornice that forms on the east side of the ridge. There might be a few spots in between the rocks where you'll posthole near the false summit just before sniktau. The wind will be your biggest enemy though, so windproof clothing is a must :)

Overall a nice easy, safe and fun hike with great views to boot.
nicfit
14ers: 17 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nicfit »

I was up Quandary on Saturday. The cornice danger is a non-factor.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

nicfit wrote:I was up Quandary on Saturday. The cornice danger is a non-factor.
just wondering, how does quandary equate to sniktau? It's not even in the same range...
blakhawk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blakhawk »

Sniktau= easy peasy. And winter doesn't tech start till another two weeks n two days ;) its easy to stay away from cornices on that one as it isn't a narrow ridge...just use simple common sense