Music Pass/Tijeres Peak Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mgriffin015
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Music Pass/Tijeres Peak Conditions?

Post by mgriffin015 »

A buddy and I are planning a trip to the Music Pass/Tijeres peak area in mid-June to do some fishing in the Sand Creek and Deadman Lakes. Any idea what the conditions should be like? Snow-wise or other? Any info is greatly appreciated.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Music Pass/Tijeres Peak Conditions?

Post by metalmountain »

mgriffin015 wrote:A buddy and I are planning a trip to the Music Pass/Tijeres peak area in mid-June to do some fishing in the Sand Creek and Deadman Lakes. Any idea what the conditions should be like? Snow-wise or other? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Well, to get this out of the way...Its impossible to say for sure this far out. With that being said, we were up there early July last year and had zero issues with snow. The only snow I recall was on the rap leading through the cliffs on the way towards Tijeras. The only issue might be the road, I know it got real torn up later in the summer last year after some pretty heavy rains in the area. As long as its dry it should be fine,but it will likely be deeply rutted no matter what. In mid June there would likely be some more patches of snow once you get into the basin, but I can't imagine it would be anything that would interfere with getting to the lakes. The hike up Music pass is largely out in the open so there shouldn't be any real snow at all on the trail until you get to the split for the upper and lower lakes. All conjecture though ;)
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Tijeras ramps will have snow

Post by Marmot72 »

I've been there once in early July and once in late June - neither a particularly heavy snow year - and both ramps through the cliffband to Tijeras had snow both times. So it was good having the micro spikes and axes for just that jaunt - it takes more time to get out the gear than to make the quick climb. Also, both times, there was no snow on the upper faces or ridgelines of Tijeras and Music. With the snow this year, you can bet on the ramp having a few feet of snow, but I wouldn't expect any real snow getting to the lake.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.