Any safe couloirs this Thu/Fri/weekend?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ash-ish
Trip Reports (0)

Any safe couloirs this Thu/Fri/weekend?

Post by ash-ish »

Interested in Front Range, Mosquito/Tenmile, or Sawatch in that order of preference.

How are the snow conditions in couloirs in general based on the aspect? Read the CAIC report, which is statewide forecast, so looking for other opinions. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ashish
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Re: Any safe couloirs this Thu/Fri/weekend?

Post by CO Native »

This time of year couloir conditions change dramatically by the hour. South facing ones get more sun so during the night they can freeze to a very hard pack that's difficult to get purchase, and then after sunrise the snow can become overloaded with water increasing the risk of a wet snow avalanche. North facing ones aren't as volatile, but they also don't consolidate as quickly or as well leaving them more prone to slab avalanches. This is generally the stabler time of year for couloir climbs, but the weather has been weird the past few weeks adding a lot of new snow of various consistencies.

My point simply being that even someones assessment of a couloir they climbed today isn't worth a whole lot tomorrow. On site evaluation is your best bet.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Mike Shepherd
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mike Shepherd »

Given the trickle of conditions reports in the last few weeks, I think you'll be strapped to find anyone with much beta. Digging around on mountain forecast it looks like the sawatch range may be the least worse in terms of snowfall. The persistence of this unsettled weather has been frustrating.
Friends don't let friends wear microspikes
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

It has been frustrating because of this nutball snow and rain the past few weeks making me a little leary about cutting my teeth on a couple of beginner routes I've wanted to do.

That being said I feel like if this weather continues, the couloir season might be cut short. Hoping to at least get Castle and American in June maybe July?
Col_Forbin
14ers: 44  8  2 
13ers: 109 46 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Col_Forbin »

timf wrote:It has been frustrating because of this nutball snow and rain the past few weeks making me a little leary about cutting my teeth on a couple of beginner routes I've wanted to do.

That being said I feel like if this weather continues, the couloir season might be cut short. Hoping to at least get Castle and American in June maybe July?
It has been frustrating for weekend warriors because we can't seem to catch a good forecast. If anything, these recent systems have worked to prolong couloir season. Did you see how little coverage we had during the first few weeks of April?

Don't fret :-SS
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

Col_Forbin wrote:these recent systems have worked to prolong couloir season
Agree extension to couloir season is likely. But for now, be careful...

From the CAIC website:
"It is a commonly held belief that spring is the safest time to ride the big lines. For awhile this spring that did hold true. But recent weather patterns have conspired to bring on a complex and potentially dangerous avalanche problem."
ash-ish
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ash-ish »

Thanks for the information. The plan is to climb a shorter ice/mixed climb to the right of DT if conditions permit. Climbing with a CMS guide.