Bancroft Conditons?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hikingmtn
14ers: 2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Bancroft Conditons?

Post by hikingmtn »

Anyone have a look at it lately? I was thinking about hitting it this weekend but I'm trying to see what the snowpack is like. Let me know! Thanks!
yorksman
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Bancroft Conditons?

Post by yorksman »

Before I give you an answer did you think about checking the recent Trail Reports tab?

A report from June 14th.
hikingmtn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hikingmtn »

yorksman wrote:Before I give you an answer did you think about checking the recent Trail Reports tab?

A report from June 14th.
I did see that but I was wondering about the East Ridge Direct route...there weren't any details or pics about snow on the ridge. Sorry for not being more specific!
brech
14ers: 36  4  1 
13ers: 22 4 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by brech »

I was on Bancroft on the 14th. My dog and I followed the e ridge from Loch Lomond to the summit, at that time there was snow in the bowl between the Loch and Lake Caroline. We started at the E end of the Loch and headed south, then climbed the snow to the ridge. Once on the ridge it was 90% clear then so I'm sure it is bare by now.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Was there yesterday. The notch in the E.R.D is completely snow free. There's snow up there, but it's going fast. I brought an axe for the early morning and was happy to have it, but it was mostly used for glissading down and yelling, "Weeeeeee!".
hikingmtn
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hikingmtn »

brech wrote:I was on Bancroft on the 14th. My dog and I followed the e ridge from Loch Lomond to the summit, at that time there was snow in the bowl between the Loch and Lake Caroline. We started at the E end of the Loch and headed south, then climbed the snow to the ridge. Once on the ridge it was 90% clear then so I'm sure it is bare by now.
justiner wrote:Was there yesterday. The notch in the E.R.D is completely snow free. There's snow up there, but it's going fast. I brought an axe for the early morning and was happy to have it, but it was mostly used for glissading down and yelling, "Weeeeeee!".
Thanks guys! I assumed that it's going to be clearing out pretty quick with the recent weather. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to go Saturday because the whole life thing getting in the way. Maybe next weekend!
Bob Kocher
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bob Kocher »

We're planning to head to Loch Lomond tomorrow night for a Sat attempt and are curious about two things:

1. Were you able to drive to the 4WD Loch Lomond TH? Cooper's CO Scrambles book mentions two gates along the Stewart Road, one of which may be closed until mid July, and wasn't sure if this would prevent us from reaching the parking area to camp there. Also, are there any significant water crossings on the road?

2. Did you carry or use any floatation or traction (snowshoes, spikes, crampons)?

Many thanks!
Alan Arnette
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alan Arnette »

Bob, summited Bancroft via E. ridge on 19 June. Drove up to 2nd gate then had a mostly snow-free short walk to base of the Ridge. Brought snowshoes, crampons and axe but never used them. Ridge is mostly clear with occasional patches. The south face of Bancroft is snow covered and quite soft after noon. But we heel plunged down with no problem, could have fun glissading as well :). The only hassel were the willows which had some snow in, on and around them; but not a big deal.
Bob Kocher
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bob Kocher »

Alan,

Thanks for your info. Very helpful. I just reread this report from 6/14 which helped too.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=16033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since the second gate is still closed, are there camping areas available near the gate or along Stewart Rd, or will we need to look elsewhere to car camp? And is Stewart Rd passable for a car/van or is high clearance/4WD necessary?
brech
14ers: 36  4  1 
13ers: 22 4 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by brech »

There were some sites, and more a short walk past the gate closure. I made it up to the gate inn a forester but I wouldn't go with anything much lower