Suggestions on a 13er

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Suggestions on a 13er

Post by Trotter »

Looking for a 13er to do this weekend, going with someone whos never done a 13er/14er, and also a dog.

Ideally within a couple hours of denver, won't require snowshoes, and also with a pond or creek along the way.

Would love to hear your suggestions
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
cloudkicker
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 157 12
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Suggestions on a 13er

Post by cloudkicker »

Sniktau is a good starter 13er. Trailhead is near the top of Loveland Pass. Can't tell you what the current conditions are though.

Edit: You might also look at Fletcher Mountain from Blue Lakes Dam, near Breckenridge.
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

Silverheels looked pretty dry on my drive back 6/22.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Trotter wrote:Looking for a 13er to do this weekend, going with someone whos never done a 13er/14er, and also a dog.

Ideally within a couple hours of denver, won't require snowshoes, and also with a pond or creek along the way.

Would love to hear your suggestions
Whale Pk from Jefferson Lake comes to mind for me. There's isn't much of a trail for this one, but most of it is above treeline, so routefinding and orientation are pretty easy.

Here is a pretty good Trip Report about the route: http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

Lemmiwinks wrote: Whale Pk from Jefferson Lake comes to mind for me. There's isn't much of a trail for this one, but most of it is above treeline, so routefinding and orientation are pretty easy.
Whale Peak is a good suggestion. Square Top Mountain and Mount Audubon would also meet your criteria.
tjmartn1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjmartn1 »

Audubon right now requires an extra mile each way of walking from brainerd lake day use area to the mitchell lakes trailhead, or at least did last weekend.