Cathedral Peak Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
alexhenes
14ers: 58  19  5 
13ers: 721 61 5
Trip Reports (72)

Cathedral Peak Conditions

Post by alexhenes »

Hi Everyone... trying to plan around weekend rain... Aspen looks like a good choice... however the snow conditions might be an issue. Does anyone know the conditions on Cathedral? After reading Bellcord conditions it sounds like Cathedral might be too soft. Hoping someone has some beta.

Thanks!
Alex
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 25 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Cathedral Peak Conditions

Post by Wildernessjane »

We did Cathedral Peak on Sunday. We started up the Pearl Couloir at about 5:30 and headed down the standard route around 9:00. The snow starting up the couloir was very firm. It was starting to get a little too soft around 7:30 as we were exiting the couloir. The couloir was kind of a mess (lots of remnants of previous slides/rockfall and a dirt path running down the center) but still fine for climbing. Also, there is big cornice hanging over the top of the couloir still. Some in our group elected to veer left and then scramble up to the ridge, while others exited just to the left of the cornice. The descent down the gully on the standard route was soft but still doable. I wouldn't have wanted to hit it much later than we did though. Temps on Sunday were pretty warm though (a low of 39 degrees overnight, I believe, with clear skies and a light wind). The ridge was clear of snow. We did not use snowshoes and did not regret that decision. There was some minimal postholing above 12,500 or so. I put up a conditions report and added a couple of photos. Also take a look at Fightgravity's conditions report. She has a few more photos. She was in our group but went up and down the standard route.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

These snapshots are from June 13th. I got going pretty late and the snow was 7-11 slushee consistency but made for a wicked fun glissade. The last 500 feet to summit were grassy, muddy but no ice! Go for it!
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

Also, all you need are crampons and one axe. Don't bother with other heavy unnecessary equipment.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

I saw the conditions report from 2 weeks ago but curious if anyone has been up there lately?
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Nope, but we were on snow a bit east and found good consolidated south and east facing snow.

Also, I'd recommend the East Face Direct couloir for you. Steeper and more fun than the standard.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Senad was up there today, and I think a couple others went up the Pearl yesterday.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina