Champion / 13,736 stream crossing?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Champion / 13,736 stream crossing?

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Anyone know much about the stream crossing to go to/from Champion from the trailhead on 82 and how difficult it is? I assume with runoff right now it might be high and I'm not sure there's an easy way to get across. I was thinking about it for Friday but not sure it's the best choice.

Might do Bull Hill instead if it's not looking good. I was just hoping someone had some firsthand experience.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Champion / 13,736 stream crossing?

Post by DaveLanders »

You can avoid the stream crossing altogether by going back south on 82 about a mile (maybe less), and using a 4wd
road which stays on the east side of the creek. It might be too muddy to drive it right now, but it's easy walking.
Roach's 13er book has details on this; it's also an alternate approach to the north side of Lackawanna.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Jon Frohlich
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Dave thanks. That will be useful for another attempt. I scouted that road a bit. It's certainly not in drivable condition without less concern for a vehicle than I have. Huge ruts , narrow, and zero way to turn back once you start.
dhgold
Trip Reports (10)

Post by dhgold »

I just passed by that crossing. The water is lower now than when I forded it a few years ago. At that time I waded through water about 30 inches deep.
Jon Frohlich
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I would have been fine. I couldn't get my dogs across and couldn't carry them.

It was brutally cold too.