Evidence that 13ers are still safe from the hordes

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
C-Shepguy
14ers: 19  2 
13ers: 44 1
Trip Reports (2)

Evidence that 13ers are still safe from the hordes

Post by C-Shepguy »

Went up Longs a couple days ago. A guy was coming down the steeper part of the Ledges and asked me to confirm that he was on the keyhole route (sort of strange, right near one of those signs, and he had gotten up Longs impressively early). I asked him if he had come from the other direction, or from Meeker. He had no idea what I was even asking him. At the summit, I told two guys up there I was considering traversing over to summit Meeker. They had no idea what I was talking about. Almost back to the keyhole, I saw a guy I had talked to hours before and told him I had cliffed out a bunch of times trying to make it over to Meeker. He didn't know what I was talking about. No one on the whole damn mountain seemed to know that there is even a mountain named Meeker. So, in short....13ers are still pretty much unknown to the general public. We've got many years to enjoy most of them in peace.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Evidence that 13ers are still safe from the hordes

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Yup. Yesterday, not another person all day :-D
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BoulderBarb
14ers: 4 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BoulderBarb »

I hiked Fletcher yesterday (but didn't make it quite to the top). Only saw 4 people the whole day. There were more mountain goats than humans.
spong0949
14ers: 49  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (26)

Post by spong0949 »

What is a 13er?
Mountain photography and fine art:
https://aaron-spong.pixels.com/

Blog:
http://14erart.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"
Double Oh Seven
14ers: 19 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Double Oh Seven »

I have never seen another person on a13er hike. I have seen even less people on 12ers.
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

"I would rather sit on a pumpkin (13er) and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion (14er)."

Henry David Thoreau
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

planet54 wrote:"I would rather sit on a pumpkin (13er) and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion (14er)."

Henry David Thoreau
+1
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
JasonCleghorn1975
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JasonCleghorn1975 »

Double Oh Seven wrote:I have never seen another person on a13er hike. I have seen even less people on 12ers.
Is there an 11ers.com ?

:lol:
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

I have done 19 Centennials and have met fewer than a dozen fellow climbers. This includes big July 4th and Labor Day weekends. I have only shared a Cent summit once under the most unlikely circumstances, middle of the week in September when I stumbled onto the top of Atlantic to find a couple in their early 20's eating lunch. I wouldn't have been more surprised if they were aliens. I apologized for disturbing their 13er solitude.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

C-Shepguy wrote:Went up Longs a couple days ago. ... I asked him if he had come from the other direction, or from Meeker. He had no idea what I was even asking him. At the summit, I told two guys up there I was considering traversing over to summit Meeker. They had no idea what I was talking about. Almost back to the keyhole, I saw a guy I had talked to hours before and told him I had cliffed out a bunch of times trying to make it over to Meeker. He didn't know what I was talking about.
I get the Meeker, nice peak, but what's this Longs thing you mention at the beginning? A trail to Meeker?

:twisted: :twisted:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

I don't post much here these days, but I will just say that I agree. However, even if there were the same number of hoards of people on 13ers, there are so many more 13ers compared to 14ers that the crowds would be better distributed to the point that we'd hardly notice other people.

It's easy to judge the hoards on 14ers, but there are other ways to avoid crowds on 14ers than just giving them up entirely. For example, I've had Longs (yes, that Longs) all to myself, and once all to me and my climbing partners. One time was when the Keyhole was full of snow but it was still a nice Fall day, so I was the only one who was prepared enough to bring traction and an axe. One of the other times was on the Diamond, which can get crowded by climbing standards too. I think the key is to go when the going gets slightly tougher, or take a more "technical" route, and it tends to thin out the crowds.

We all go into the mountains for different reasons, and solitude and learning more about the land around you isn't as important to some people as it is to others. I'm not one of those people, so I'll keep seeking out the solitude and learning all the peaks on the horizon with the rest of you awkward and nerdy loners. =p

Cheers!
C-Shepguy
14ers: 19  2 
13ers: 44 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by C-Shepguy »

TallGrass wrote: I get the Meeker, nice peak, but what's this Longs thing you mention at the beginning? A trail to Meeker?

:
Yes but keep this between you and I since it is sort of a well kept secret. There is a trail to Meeker called Longs, and it's crazy, because it actually goes higher than Meeker on the way there. I know, sounds unbelievable. Just trust me.