Dallas from Blue Lakes (w/ Tea) Aug 8?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Dallas from Blue Lakes (w/ Tea) Aug 8?

Post by TallGrass »

Wineguy and I will be out in the San Juans for Teakettle, Sneffels (me), and Dallas and were wonder if Dallas can be done via blue lakes so the three could be linked from the same TH, and potentially a long day, weather permitting. Summitpost used to have a page for an East Ridge route, but the link is dead, and the South Face route has no details.

If anyone is interested in joining us, send a PM. We'll be packing rope and gear for those 5th class Centennials to rap off them. Likely also hitting some Top 100 Sangres on the way out and back in the Crestone or Carson areas.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
benners
14ers: 58  51  21 
13ers: 559 84 26
Trip Reports (110)

Re: Dallas from Blue Lakes (w/ Tea) Aug 8?

Post by benners »

Dallas can be done via Blue Lakes, though I believe it's much more enjoyable from the Telluride side.

Our TR from a few years ago: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12680
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Its doable, but certainly not recommended. The descent down that gully back to Blue Lake is pretty miserable. You'll likely have that route mostly to yourself, but I would 100% do it from Mill Creek on the T-ride side, but I also think Dallas is a one and done mountain. I honestly would probably never have done it if it weren't for the publicity it receives as the "hardest Centennial" - which is probably overall true. Teakettle is a dinner plate special as well, but for some reason, not as obnoxious as Dallas.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Thanks benners and lordhelmut. Want to keep options open so good to know it's doable albeit less desirable.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."