French/Casco Halfmoon Creek Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
carson_h
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 64 6
Trip Reports (0)

French/Casco Halfmoon Creek Conditions?

Post by carson_h »

I'll be attempting the French/Frasco/Casco Combo soon, but it seems like the creek crossing situation could change my plans by an hour+ (mileage + shoe changes, etc...).

A few questions:
- What's the creek crossing like recently? I would expect it be pretty low this time of year, but this year isn't like others. I'm driving a stock Tacoma.
- Is there decent car camping beyond the crossing, or will I have better luck below the 110J junction?
- Recommendations?

Thanks,

-Carson
texag11
14ers: 21 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (0)

Re: French/Casco Halfmoon Creek Conditions?

Post by texag11 »

Also interested if anyone has any update on this.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

I did this last fall and got across the creek no problem. Plenty of car camping all around this area. There are spots on both sides of the creek you can camp. We ended up walking most of the way up the road because it was so rough, but it was not too big of a day.

The traverse and the basin are really great.

R
Last edited by desertdog on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

The problem isn't the first creek crossing, but the second one. It's seriously eroded such that even though I've driven across it before, I wouldn't try it now. The climb out of the second creek crossing is seriously steep and if you can't make it and don't have a winch, you've got a big problem.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Mtnman200 wrote:The problem isn't the first creek crossing, but the second one. It's seriously eroded such that even though I've driven across it before, I wouldn't try it now. The climb out of the second creek crossing is seriously steep and if you can't make it and don't have a winch, you've got a big problem.
Yes, we didn't feel so bad about hiking up the road when we came to this section!
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
carson_h
Trip Reports (0)

Post by carson_h »

Yeh, the second creek cross looks heinous in the route description:

http://www.13ers.com/peaks/routes/small ... 023_03.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was asking about in the first creek crossing.

Thanks for the feedback on campsites desertdog!
ahrendse
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ahrendse »

Plenty of camping all over.

I did the hike at the beginning of July. Parked my RAV4 at the 110J junction and started the hike from there. I didn't feel good about driving over the stream, esp the second one. The extra distance wasn't bad. Easy road hike. The stream crossings were raging then. I took my boots off for both during the ascent but left them on during the descent. At that time, it was not possible to cross without getting wet.

Fun hike. Enjoy!
https://listsofjohn.com/m/ahrendse
`You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

ahrendse wrote:Plenty of camping all over.

I did the hike at the beginning of July. Parked my RAV4 at the 110J junction and started the hike from there. I didn't feel good about driving over the stream, esp the second one. The extra distance wasn't bad. Easy road hike. The stream crossings were raging then. I took my boots off for both during the ascent but left them on during the descent. At that time, it was not possible to cross without getting wet.

Fun hike. Enjoy!
Did this route a few weeks ago and would agree with everything said here...
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

I was able to find some "large" fallen trees to cross over at the lower crossing to get across without getting wet. They were pretty high above the stream (enough I was worried about falling off) so I would guess they'd still be there.
carson_h
Trip Reports (0)

Post by carson_h »

texag11, if you're still interested, here's my summary from being up there over the weekend.

The stream crossing is probably 6" deep now -- not an issue for most SUVs, trucks, etc.

There is lots good camping about 1 mile before the 110J junction, but then it's sparse until the junction. When you get to the junction there are campsites on each side of the creek. Camping is limited once you cross the creek -- I saw one good spot about half way between the first and second creek crossing (with no water). The road is steep and rocky once you cross the creek, so it's probably faster and more enjoyable to hike that section.

We drove across the stream, took a sharp right and camped which was pretty ideal from my perspective -- no creek crossing in the dark, away from the main road, access to water, etc.

-Carson
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

There's nice camping after the first crossing; that's as far as I take my 4Runner. The hike up is nice along the road anyhow (and somewhere in the dirt is my key fob I lost like four years ago).
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
wphiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wphiker »

My wife and I climbed Casco this past Saturday. I was able to hop across the creek on submerged rocks and keep my feet dry.