Kneeknocker Pass East Side

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ktrain
14ers: 27  2 
13ers: 52
Trip Reports (0)

Kneeknocker Pass East Side

Post by Ktrain »

Hi!

Can anyone comment on the current conditions of the east side of Kneeknocker Pass? Are crampons and axe necessary?

Thanks!
Ktrain
Steve Knapp
14ers: 57 
13ers: 395
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Kneeknocker Pass East Side

Post by Steve Knapp »

Doubtful. Haven't been up that way this year but ascended that side from bubble lake on 9/3/12. Hardly any snow then, just steep scree and talus. If there's any snow left, I'm sure it's avoidable.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

I was there the last weekend of July. At that time there was still a decent amount of snow but it could be largely avoided. I suspect by now it's gone or totally avoidable.

You can see in the picture I took the block of snow in the lower right and you can see the path to the left that allows you to avoid it. However, we turned around at this point and I don't recall if there was a section lower (out of view) where you couldn't get around some part of the snow.
Kneeknocker Pass - July 31
Kneeknocker Pass - July 31
Kneeknocker Pass - Compressed.jpg (107.09 KiB) Viewed 508 times
SkiBum1287
14ers: 35  2 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SkiBum1287 »

No snow as of this weekend.
Snow!