13er Ideas

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: 13er Ideas

Post by illusion7il »

Check out forum user quackquackcolorado trip reports.

This guy has posted lots of 13er linkups with good maps and stats listed ranging from class 1 to class 5

here is just one for example http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=15481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by illusion7il on Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

illusion7il wrote:Check out forum user quackquackcolorado trip reports.

This guy has posted lots of 13er linkups with good maps and stats listed.

here is just one for example http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=15481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've seen his reports and I want to say someone who has betadump or something similar in their screen name also has reports like his. Thanks I'll search his out. The class 5 section would be over my head but love the layout he uses between maps and stats.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

timf wrote:...maps and stats.
He does some cool linkups, but his mi/vert stats on big days are typically quite a bit higher than reported by others, even taking into account rounding. We had that Hassel>Golden Bear loop at 13 mi/5790 ft and have noticed other major discrepancies - GPS differences? Not removing noise?

F'range, Tenmile, Mosquito, and Sawatch are fantastic for low commitment (depending on shuttle) big days and working on logistics/mapping skills. Pretty much any group of peaks can be done as a big day, minus the fake F'range orphans. Geojed had a pretty cool idea for linking up the peaks north of Indy Pass. Massive day with bail out spots between every peak.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
pak
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 192 2 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pak »

The next couple of days will bring snow to the high country, but here are a couple of Mosquito recommendations:

1. Arkansas, Tweto, Treasurevault, Mosquito, Kuss
This is a really fun and relatively simple traverse. I don't recall the mileage and elevation gain. This is a great 5-peak trek.

2. London, Evans B, Pennsylvania
I did this loop last Saturday. I parked about 3/4 a mile up Mosquito Pass about 500 yards below the South London mine. Climbed London first, then over to Evans B, descending the east slopes of Evans over to Pennsylvania. From Pennsylvania I backtracked to the power line, and traversed across to American Flats and climbed back to the road junction at the ridge ascending London. This is 13 miles and just under 4,000'. if you want a bit more, you could add an out-and-back to Kuss and Mosquito for a 5-peak day.
Phil
Steve Nicholls
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 168
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Nicholls »

Good suggestions here. We did the 13ers n. of Indy a couple of weeks ago (13,500 over Twining then around over the Geisslers). We caught it right after the first dusting of snow, and the scramble down from 13,545 to Lost Man Pass was committing with the conditions. Super fun scramble all the way around. Pretty short miles wise but lots of elevation. One of the more fun days. But, might be a bit dicey depending on how much snow.

The stuff around Herman Gultch is really fun. In addition to 12ers Rule's suggestion, there's Pettingell, Citadel (I dropped below the ridge), Hagar then Bethel. From the Urad mine, you can do Englemann, Robeson, Bard, Parnassus and Woods.

Square Top, Argentine, Edwards to Wilcox is good, but you do have to climb back over Argentine and hike the road for a couple of miles to complete the loop.

From Montezuma you can go from Santa Fe Peak along the ridge to Red Cone and Webster Pass and the back down the valley. Nice high, long, easy ridge.

Good luck!
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Tenmile:
1) traver, mcnamee, clinton (you could potentially tack on wheeler)
2) atlantic/pacific/crystal, peak 9 to crystal, any combo of those peaks
3) london, treasurevalt, mosquito, tweto (you can add on buckskin, it is class 3, maybe low 4ish occasionally from tweto to buckskin)
4) hoosier ridge/boreas pass peaks

Sawatch:
1) emerald/iowa
2) antero region 13ers (cronin, white, lo carb, mamma...any combo of the peaks there)

Front:
1) cupid, snik, grizz
2) square top, argentine, edwards, mccellan
3) james peak group

Most of those should be fine in the until we get a large amount of snow. Quackquack, furthermore, snowalien... all have pretty solid trip reports of a lot of routes. Careful though, as these people and almost anyone who is posting the big link ups are beast climbers with a lot of experience, you will be testing your legs, climbing/scrambling skills, and route finding skills any time you try and follow one of their routes.

For the big 13er link ups, look on 14ers/13ers.com maps and a few other websites to find out where all the peaks are. Pick which ones are your target, then go to your gps creator (or mapmyrun) and write up the route. You can sometimes see where the social/climber trails are on the satellite images, and some trails are on the US topo maps. Use the satellite image for more exact trail points. This gives you a rough estimate of mileage and elevation gain (usually 1-2 miles short of actual distance) that you will get from whatever route you make.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

With the rain snow mix we've had this week, partial covered talus is going to make things sloppy so I'll likely do the London-Tweto group and if the road is difficult to pass through, I'll hit aholle88's #4 from Hoosier Pass.

Thanks all.