"Easy" 13ers Near Longmont

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

"Easy" 13ers Near Longmont

Post by Tornadoman »

I am going to be in Longmont for a few days around Thanksgiving (sister-in-laws), and am hoping to get in a 13er or two during that time. (Yes, I am going to try to stop being a 14er elitist). I would like to stay within 1 1/2 hourish of Longmont. I don't have snowshoes or much experience in Winter-ish conditions, so I am looking for something that could likely be done in boots/gaiters and warm clothes. I understand that the weather will dictate if I can pull this off or not, but just looking for ideas for routes that are often done without technical gear in these conditions.

After a bit of my own research, I was thinking maybe the Sniktau/Cupid area off of Loveland Pass. Those peaks don't look too bad, and it looks like the snow blows off pretty well, although this is probably at the outer limit of how far I would like to drive. Thoughts on those, or other suggestions?

Thanks!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: "Easy" 13ers Near Longmont

Post by Dave B »

How about you don't be a 13er elitist either and go hike St Vrain Mountain.

Mostly because, purposely going onto I-70 when the IPW is as close as it is in Longmont without having to go on I-70 defies logic.

If you're stuck on a 13er, Arapahoes/Audubon/Pauite/Navajo/Apache > Sniktau

If you can relax the elevation-related-myopia, Toll/Pawnee/Shoshoni/Algonquin/Sawtooth etc are all spectacular.
Make wilderness less accessible.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

I agree with Dave on Indian Peaks Wilderness if you definitely want 13ers. Longmont is Boulder County and you're just a short drive to Boulder, which is close to IPW. If you're willing to drive up I-70 towards the Sniktau area, you could also look at Bard and Parnassus.
Bowman
14ers: 42 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bowman »

Just be aware that some of the IPW 13ers might be more difficult to access than in the summer. E.g., Brainard Lake TH is closed at the gate, adding a few miles each way. I'm not sure when Fourth of July road becomes impassable for cars.

I'd also recommend St. Vrain Mountain (plus Meadow Mountain, an 11er).

If you really want 13ers, there are a few in RMNP that might fit the bill. Mummy Mountain's southeast slopes are usually windswept. Also, Mount Lady Washington is a great peak with reasonable mileage/elevation.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Speaking of RMNP: again, not a 13er, but Flattop is another nice option for that time of year. Great scenery, and no avalanche danger if you stay on route. It might be pretty difficult below treeline without snowshoes if there happens to be a storm before you go, but that can be said for any of the other options mentioned.

Regarding access to the 4OJ trailhead, FWIW, I recall driving all the way to the end of the road either the second or third week of November a couple years ago. There was snow on the road, but it was pretty well packed from 4x4 and snowmobile traffic. There is no gate, so in theory there's nothing to stop you from trying to get there any time of year, but, I imagine that at some point it does become impassable. I definitely wouldn't risk it after a major storm.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Meadow or St Vrain are excellent IMO. Amazing views.
Also Flattop. Screw driving all the way to Sniktau. Although that's great and easy if you do. Also Mt Flora off Berthoud Pass. Just beware of avy danger.
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

Bowman wrote: I'd also recommend St. Vrain Mountain (plus Meadow Mountain, an 11er).... Also, Mount Lady Washington is a great peak with reasonable mileage/elevation.
All three of these would be good choices. MLW in particular may be a good choice as it follows the Longs Peak trail for ~3.5 of the 4.5 miles, and that trail is usually packed to where you often don't need snowshoes. Astounding views of the Diamond on Longs from the summit.

Compared to MLW, St. Vrain (and Meadow, to some extent) will likely be less traveled and less straight forward than MLW, and more likely to need snowshoes or skis. but awesome views of the entire Wild Basin area.

Another thought would be Twin Sisters - not even a 12er, but well traveled year round and an easy win. Great views of Longs and the Tahosa valley.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

As others have stated, Lady Washington is probably your easiest/closest 13er in Nov from Longmont without having to mess with I-70. You rarely need snowshoes for it. Most of the IPW 13ers/12ers are going to be big days in November as you will be starting lower than the summer TH on most of those. Copeland, Pagoda, and Meeker are also options, but those will be big days in November unless the big storms hold off.
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Isn't Lady Washington almost 12 miles RT? Not sure I'd call that easy.
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

PaliKona wrote:Isn't Lady Washington almost 12 miles RT? Not sure I'd call that easy.
I'd guess it's closer to 10 but part of the equation is that the trail to Chasm Lake junction is often packed, even soon after a fresh dump of snow. Also, good winter conditions on the E Ridge are preferable to summer conditions to me because hard windblown styrofoam often fills in the gaps between boulders. Maybe I've been lucky but I've done MLW in winter quite a few times and it was always excellent. Then again, the view keeps my attitude positive so YMMV.
When life gets you down, climb!
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I should have given more information on easy in the beginning since that is very subjective. I was thinking 10 miles or less, 4,000 vertical feet or less, and class 1 or 2. For some reason Mt. Lady Washington is listed as class 3 on the 13ers website. I looked at trip reports and can't see any reason why, I certainly think it looks like a class 2 peak to me. I will probably put that at the top of the list.

As for the IPW peaks, I definitely want to do those one day, but looks like they are pretty big days in the Winter, and since I am sure to be in Longmont a couple times each year I have no doubt that I will be able to get those in at some point. As for non-13ers, I will certainly consider those options as well, if the wind is high I may try something that isn't as far above treeline.

The other major thing that concerns me is avy risk. That is why the Sniktau/Cupid option looked appealing. Looks like extremely low avy risk so long as you avoid the cornices. I don't have the skills to assess avy risk, so need to make sure that I am being safe.

If I do go down to I-70, how is traffic likely to be Thanksgiving week? I have no idea if the ski areas are doing big business yet, etc. I know in the Summer you want to avoid I-70 west on Friday PMs and avoid it east on Sundays, but no idea how a more holiday week in the non-Summer would be.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

<10 mi/4K ft, with 1.5 hrs of Longmont, and no snowshoes limits options significantly.

-Sniktau/Cupid/Grizzly
-Flora/Eva (avy terrain shortcutting the summits on the way back)
-Sometimes Parnassus SW slopes from Herman Gulch, depending on precip.
-James Peak. Snowshoes are useful but one could slog it out if there isn't too much precip (wind blasted).
-Hassell E ridge via Butler normally doesn't require any but those east divide aspects get heavily corniced and avalanch-y

Lady Washington is slightly longer mileage, but fairly reasonable as the trail is decently packed with winter shortcuts, minus a brief stretch from Chasm junction to the East slopes proper. Class 2.

I-70 traffic will still be pretty bad Sundays 1PM-6PM. Most resorts will be open.

There are plenty of good hikes at lower elevations that'll be more enjoyable.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich