James Peak - snow condition

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

James Peak - snow condition

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Just wondering if anybody's been up James Peak lately. Is there continuous snow all the way to the summit? Looking to ski it later this week.
-OwenZ
AndyJB444
14ers: 16  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: James Peak - snow condition

Post by AndyJB444 »

I haven't been on it, but I did take a good look at the upper slopes driving to Loveland yesterday.... :twisted:

Looked like it was in typical mid-winter condition with its usual windblown/bare sections in the usual spots, which means you'll likely encounter one or two thinner/rockier sections about 500 feet from the summit. No idea about Jamaica Flats...
matt_foco
14ers: 34 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by matt_foco »

I was going to post the exact same thing. I am looking to do Jamespeak this saturday as well.
Destroy all summit signs
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Windy. It's gonna be windy.
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

We were just below the Boulderfield on Longs today (let's say 12,500') and the wind stopped us in our tracks. You could not stand up, much less take a step forward. Wind forecast for the weekend is stronger than for today. Niwot Ridge weather station (11,500') was showing 1-hr-avg wind speeds of 48mph this morning. At 12,500 the gusts were certainly in excess of 70mph.
crazymarmot
14ers: 30  1  3 
13ers: 16 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crazymarmot »

If it helps, I was on the summit last week of December, and there was continuous snow to the summit, but you still might take your skis off for the last 100 ft or so due to larger rocks sticking out (or use careful navigation). Jamaican flats had plenty of snow, I doubt any of it has melted to the point of bare ground. The only change that might have happened since then are strong winds, so you might have a lot of "wind shaped snow". Of course these are conditions from St Mary's Ann Glacier.

Have fun!
cheeseburglar wrote:Yeah, it's pretty obvious we need to change the 14er gathering to Cameron. We will finally answer the question "How many geeks with desk jobs does it take to unstuck a Toyato at 13,900 feet"
wildlobo71 wrote: More than you think; we're project managers.