13550 near Conundrum Hot Springs

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

13550 near Conundrum Hot Springs

Post by Mtnman200 »

I know some of you have combined Unnamed 13550 with "Castleabra" (13,803'). I've already done "Castleabra" from Conundrum Hot Springs but didn't think about Unnamed 13550 because I was focusing on bicentennials at the time.

Now it looks like I'll be heading back to Conundrum Hot Springs to attempt a variety of peaks, including Unnamed 13550 but don't want to repeat "Castleabra" because it wasn't exactly one of my favorites. I was thinking about leaving the trail to the pass at about 11,400’ and climbing SSE to the Castleabra – 13550 saddle; then following the ridge SSW to the summit of 13550.

Has anybody done this route? I'm looking for feedback on whether it's a feasible route or not. Thanks!
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: 13550 near Conundrum Hot Springs

Post by SoCool »

I've heard that your intended ridge is an easy scramble, maybe class 3?
SarahT
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 670 168
Trip Reports (75)

Post by SarahT »

I think what you're describing is what I used as a descent route? If so then yes, it goes fine. You can find a few details in my trip report on this site. I'm not sure if its just 3rd class or a bit of 4th near the top, snow complicated things a little for us.
13550.JPG
13550.JPG (288.46 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
Die Zeit ist unendlich lang und ein jeder Tag ein Gefäß, in das sich sehr viel eingießen lässt, wenn man es wirklich ausfüllen will.... Goethe
http://www.13ergirl.com/
SoCool
14ers: 49  1  5 
13ers: 35 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SoCool »

SarahT wrote:snow complicated things a little for us.
From Sarah's TR, (following the ridge from Castleabra subpeak south to Pt 13,550):
"From near the saddle it was a relative stroll for a while and we thought we were home free… until we discovered that a series of towers were in our way. We slowly and carefully made our way up and over them or across exposed junky ledges to pass by them. Snow complicated the route in one or two places, and routefinding was tedious. The climb to this point had been 4th class, but we ended with a few 5th class moves right below the summit to avoid the obvious route buried under a steep snow slope. The traverse, although less than a mile long, took 2:30!

We had been considering going on to UN 13162, the next summit along the ridge, but it didn't look like it was at all possible. We were tired and this wasn't too big of a disappointment. The hot springs were calling. Unfortunately there was no choice but to run the ridge back to near the saddle. We found a workaround on the east side to avoid the 5th class downclimb and carefully made our way back through the numerous obstacles.

From the saddle we descended west down a broad, low angle couloir on snow and talus and it delivered us efficiently to Conundrum Basin."

Also Furthermore has a TR to this peak, but he took an indirect route along the east side of the ridge rather than the crest.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Thanks for the feedback. I saw SarahT's report but there were no photos, so I wasn't positive of her route.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

I combined 13162 and 13550 on a day hike from the Twin Lakes trail on the south side of these peaks (TH is at about 10,400' on the Pearl Pass road; 4wd required). I climbed 13162 first, then headed east to 13550. Most of the ridge between 13162 and 13550 goes with 3rd class scrambling. Somewhere around 13,300' or 13,400', as I got close to 13550, the ridge got too difficult. I was able to do an ascending traverse across the south face of 13550 to the SE ridge at about 13,500'. The summit was easy from there. I don't remember how hard it would be to reach the 13162/13550 saddle from the hot springs side; it was easy from the south. If you can reach the saddle from the hot springs side, then the rest of this route would work no matter which side you did the initial approach from.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.