Advice for this weekend

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Advice for this weekend

Post by LarryM »

I'm looking for a decent option for this weekend for myself and my much less experienced in the mountains friend. To give you some idea of her fitness/experience level, we climbed Colorado Mines Peak last month. That was her first real experience in the high mountains in any season. She did great, but she did find it difficult.

With nice weather forecast, I'd like to try something maybe a little (but not much) more ambitious for her. Maybe Sniktau? I don't want to go much more than an hour and a half from Boulder. Any thoughts/advice?
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Re: Advice for this weekend

Post by bmcqueen »

Sniktau is a good choice. It's usually windy, so bring a wind shell, ski goggles, warm gloves/mitts. Grizzly is also a good option, but it's a little longer with more vertical (same starting point - just turn right instead of left at top of first hill).
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Note that fairly strong wind is forecast for Sat afternoon thru Sun. Wind can be hard on an inexperienced climber. Poles help.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I second south side of Loveland Pass. Easy access, great views and flotation usually not required. But prepare for icy wind.
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

Thanks guys. Great advice. We aimed for Sniktau; we didn't summit because of the wind, but we got a little past the false summit & had a great couple of hours in the mountains. My friend was above 13,000 feet for the first time, and we had a lot of fun. All type 1 fun in my opinion; she said MOSTLY type 1 fun with a little type 2 fun. The wind was a little tougher for her than it was for me.