Red Mountain C near Breck

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Red Mountain C near Breck

Post by dubsho3000 »

I'm considering skiing Red Mountain C this weekend. Does anyone have a current conditions update? Is there even snow up there? I haven't been to Breck all winter.

Also, if it's a go, I'd be interested in finding a partner or two. Let me know if you are interested.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Red Mountain C near Breck

Post by bergsteigen »

From the last time I was up there, it was wind blasted on the ridge above 12K. That east face is tempting, but I'm not sure I'd ski it yet.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

^Same. I was on Red a couple of days ago. The trees are skiing good but the north ridge is wind-blasted and the east face isn't ready.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

Define wind-blasted. I'm not concerned with the quality of the skiing, but I would like to be on skis for the ascent - at least mostly. Is the ridge bare, or just hardpack/sastrugi type snow? I appreciate the update!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Wind blasted: lower down some impressive sustrugi features, then the further up you go, no skiable/skinable snow - 90% rocks/tundra. Need some spring sticky!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Spring Sticky? Oh that's sounds rude......
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

from what i can see from my house the upper part above the north bowl looks pretty dry. if you want a picture i could send you one tomorrow
Vincit Qui Patitur