Summer approaches for Jones Mnt and Half Peak?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
macgyver
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

Summer approaches for Jones Mnt and Half Peak?

Post by macgyver »

Taking a week long, 13er trip in early August and been reading various trip reports for these two - wondering if one approach is recommended over another. I've seen Cuba Gulch, Burns Gulch, American Basin and Cataract Lake. All of them look like great hikes; just wondering from first hand experience. I'd be fine driving from one th to the next (4Runner), or set up a base camp. Thanks for any feedback.
-MacG
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Summer approaches for Jones Mnt and Half Peak?

Post by Jon Frohlich »

For Half Peak, both Cataract Lake and Cuba Gulch are absolutely beautiful approaches. From a view perspective I wouldn't be able to pick one over the other. Both are just flat out gorgeous. The Cataract Lake route comes out to about 14 miles RT. There are some sources that say 12 but there's no way that's correct. The Cuba Gulch route comes out anywhere between 11-13 miles RT. The reason for that is the Cuba Gulch approach is very much a choose your own route situation. There are many different ways to go.

If you look at Matt's TR below versus mine you can see he went a different way.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=16473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My TR:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=15486" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want easy route finding then Cataract Lake is the way to go. The trails are easy to follow onto the slopes of the upper mountain. If you want to camp then Cataract Lake is also a really nice place to spend a night or there are campsites right above the waterfall a few miles up.

For Jones, the best bet is to also park near Cuba Gulch and hike up the old snare stairs road to the basin. You can then hike American, Jones, and Niagara and return back to your car. Also a beautiful place. I'm sure other approaches work for Jones too but if you're already parked at the TH for Cuba Gulch there's no reason to move.
macgyver
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Summer approaches for Jones Mnt and Half Peak?

Post by macgyver »

Jon Frohlich wrote:For Half Peak, both Cataract Lake and Cuba Gulch are absolutely beautiful approaches. From a view perspective I wouldn't be able to pick one over the other. Both are just flat out gorgeous. The Cataract Lake route comes out to about 14 miles RT. There are some sources that say 12 but there's no way that's correct. The Cuba Gulch route comes out anywhere between 11-13 miles RT. The reason for that is the Cuba Gulch approach is very much a choose your own route situation. There are many different ways to go.

If you look at Matt's TR below versus mine you can see he went a different way.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=16473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My TR:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=15486" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want easy route finding then Cataract Lake is the way to go. The trails are easy to follow onto the slopes of the upper mountain. If you want to camp then Cataract Lake is also a really nice place to spend a night or there are campsites right above the waterfall a few miles up.

For Jones, the best bet is to also park near Cuba Gulch and hike up the old snare stairs road to the basin. You can then hike American, Jones, and Niagara and return back to your car. Also a beautiful place. I'm sure other approaches work for Jones too but if you're already parked at the TH for Cuba Gulch there's no reason to move.

Perfect, thanks Jon!
-MacG
Mtnman200
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Half Peak

Post by Mtnman200 »

If you take the Cataract Lake approach to Half Peak, be careful following the guidance in the Roaches' 13ers book. There is a small lake at 12,180’ southwest of (and above) Cataract Lake. The Roaches’ map indicates that the route goes around the small lake, and the Roaches then suggest leaving the trail and contouring west into a small drainage. Neither is correct, apparently because the book predates the Cataract Gulch trail being connected to the Cuba Gulch Trail. The correct way to proceed is to simply stay on the trail near the lake at 12,180’.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner