Mount Meeker Dragon Egg Couloir

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Mount Meeker Dragon Egg Couloir

Post by AlexeyD »

emgordon wrote:Thanks, great shot.

Looks like more rocks exposed than last weekend. I guess the snowfall did not help as much as I hoped, or maybe it's the fault of wind and sluffs.

Maybe at this rate it'll all melt by Sunday (ha! just kidding).
Hmm...I'm certainly no expert, but seems like maybe Lamb's Slide would be a better choice for a ski descent? Unless you've already done it, of course.
gspup
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gspup »

AlexeyD wrote:
Hmm...I'm certainly no expert, but seems like maybe Lamb's Slide would be a better choice for a ski descent? Unless you've already done it, of course.
My thoughts exactly.
emgordon
14ers: 28 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by emgordon »

I'm open to suggestions. My impression is that Lamb's Slide is steeper and narrower than the Loft couloir. Is that accurate? Hopefully I'll be able to check em both before I commit to either.
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Lamb's Slide is more narrow. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe both are similar angles and average around 45. I also think LS can be done later in the season.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I'm not sure what you'd call, "the base" of the Loft, but that does make me feel that on average Lambslide is much longer, when you get to snow climbing mode, as the Loft just feels more gentler, when you're approaching it, and the Ships Prow is on climber's R.

Loft *would* be steeper, if you climbed over the headwall, but people usually exit to the left on the ledges. That would make Lambslide steeper when you usually exit it (for LS, that would be Broadway, or at the top - you could also do Alexander's Chimney, but most do not)

I think at the narrowest point, Lambslide would perhaps be a bit more narrow, but on average, LS is much more constricted, with steep cliffs on climber's right, and the buttress on the left. LS is a step up from the Loft, fer sure.

There was a recent slide in at least Lambslide that we saw yesterday, the snow is a bit lumpy, with lots of pockets in it; generally the eastern aspects haven't consolidated all the much from the last storm - lots of wet slide activity - including the Loft. Other aspects are fairing better. Cables had pretty good snow conditions; the area W of the Notch on the Clarks Arrow route is entirely snow covered. Skier and a splitboarded skied from the top when we were there. Bet you could do Kep. as both a ski and a snowclimb.
smartt
14ers: 48  1  16 
13ers: 227 1 10
Trip Reports (2)

Post by smartt »

Was only able to ride 1,000ft from above the Dragon Egg on the south face of Mount Meeker friday (5/20/16) due to the upper 2,000 ft being avalanche'd out.

With the rapid rise in heat and being alone I decided to be on the safe side and ride the Dragon Eggs Ridge a ways then the lower couloir.
smartt
14ers: 48  1  16 
13ers: 227 1 10
Trip Reports (2)

Post by smartt »

Here's the image from 5/20/16
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (274.74 KiB) Viewed 428 times