Urad Mine Red Tape?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MTGOAT72
14ers: 22 
13ers: 50
Trip Reports (3)

Urad Mine Red Tape?

Post by MTGOAT72 »

Hey,
I'm thinking about doing a loop of Englemann, Robeson, Bard, Parnassus and Woods from the Urad Mine area. Is there any red tape like private property closures back there that I should be aware of? I looked at a few trip reports, but they were pretty old and didn't indicate much. Looks like a fun area for a loop climb.
Cheers.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Re: Urad Mine Red Tape?

Post by Jay521 »

Raj did a fairly recent report that details the route you are looking to do. There is a pretty large sign about a mile before the start of that loop that states the start of private property. I parked just before that sign (as I think Raj did) and walked the mile or so to the cutoff. I was passed by a company truck as I walked back down and he just waved at me.

I think I have a picture of that sign and will post it if I can find it tonight.

Raj's report http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=16483
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
510rock
14ers: 16 
13ers: 54
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 510rock »

I did Englemann Peak about a month ago. I parked at coordinates: 39.754757, -105.824281 (~10,250 ft) and hiked west up the road to a gated trailhead that branched to the left off the main road. I too wondered if I was trespassing but the area was pretty dead in terms of activity and nobody bothered me.
MTGOAT72
14ers: 22 
13ers: 50
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MTGOAT72 »

Jay521 wrote:Raj did a fairly recent report that details the route you are looking to do. There is a pretty large sign about a mile before the start of that loop that states the start of private property. I parked just before that sign (as I think Raj did) and walked the mile or so to the cutoff. I was passed by a company truck as I walked back down and he just waved at me.

I think I have a picture of that sign and will post it if I can find it tonight.

Raj's report http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=16483
Yeah, that the the TR I was looking at in particular. Thanks for the info, I will park just before the sign as you did.
mtnfiend
14ers: 34  14  2 
13ers: 181 58 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtnfiend »

Same here. A fairly large group of us parked at the end of that road in a large open pull out area 2 weekends in a row (climbed and skied englemann 2 weekends ago and climbed and skied parnassus last weekend). No one bothered us or left us a note saying we shouldn't park there......seems reasonable that an easement exists for the road to that point?
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

http://exploringtherockies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.berthoudpass.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@snow_nerd
awake
14ers: 20 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

The sign people are referring to can be seen in my trip report. It's impossible to miss.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Here it is...
Attachments
DSCN4515.jpg
DSCN4515.jpg (85.09 KiB) Viewed 909 times
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

If you don't care much about Woods you can do the rest with no red tape from the road up Bard Creek. FS 777.1 I believe. Road starts in Empire.