13er ridges you might think go but actually don't

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Re: 13er ridges you might think go but actually don't

Post by Tony1 »

TravelingMatt wrote: Sawatch:
Independence Pass south to 13198
Huh, glad I stopped by this thread. I think I'll scratch that off the list. :P
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

Broken Hand to Milwaukee. Was able to make it Broken Hand to saddle - barely - but bailed into the Cottonwood drainage. Good times.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Tony1 wrote:
TravelingMatt wrote: Sawatch:
Independence Pass south to 13198
Huh, glad I stopped by this thread. I think I'll scratch that off the list. :P
But yet you can easily get to 13,198 (Mountain Boy) from Inde Pass. Classic ski loop/car shuttle. Did it a few years ago.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

[*]Climber's Pt -> PT 12,844 (between Keller and North Traverse) via Bershgrund Pass.
Dad Mike has a trip report about doing this in a rain storm with 0 visibility and said it goes at Class 3-4 using bypasses to the east/north if I recall correctly. There is a 5.4+ vertical-ish knife edge move in order to stay ridge proper. We had to bypass to the west/south due to a dusting to 3" of snow on the east/north side.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Chicago Transplant wrote:Truro to West Truro, the towers don't show up on the topo and you have to go around them.
I remember this now; I was trying to go 13090 --> West Truro --> Truro. The 13090/WT ridge has some nice scrambly parts but I got some 100 feet down from West Truro and decided screw it, retracing my route back over West Truro. I recall spotting a more reasonable route up from Truro Lake.

Another "Kendallesque" pair seems to be the two Haydens, southwest of Ouray.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Has anyone made it from Fortress to Precipice (or vice versa)?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

awilbur77 wrote:Atlantic to Fletcher
Also Drift to Fletcher, although it looks like you can bypass the class-5 notch by dropping down on the north side a ways.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Snowdon/South Snowdon. Some help you are, Internet!
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

South Maroon to Belleview Mtn. While I do not remember any dedicated 5th class moves, the route was loose enough to make the "never again" list.

I thought I was going out for a fun afternoon ridge run, and ended up with a bike ride down Maroon Creek Rd. in the dark.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Jim Davies wrote:
awilbur77 wrote:Atlantic to Fletcher
Also Drift to Fletcher, although it looks like you can bypass the class-5 notch by dropping down on the north side a ways.
It's actually a pretty fun traverse: http://www.14ers.com/route.php?route=20 ... type=13ers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

Pink Peak to Red Peak B. I haven't heard of anyone attempting this traverse, and I wonder if it would even be worth it. (C'mon people, Unranked 12ers != :sleep:)
John Prater
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 343 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Prater »

CreekRunner wrote:Pink Peak to Red Peak B.
Believe that's Red Diamond Ridge. TR