Ice Lake Basin

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Ice Lake Basin

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

I will be there the week of July 18th-24th for the annual family vacation, not concerned with the peaks as much as I am the upper lake/basin itself. My kids are finally of age to where I think they have a pretty legit chance of making it up......and actually enjoying it! I probably will be brining some snow gear for what seems to be my annual failed attempt at the peaks as well, If any of you will be there during this time I would love a partner to hike with! If anything we for sure will be able to enjoy a beer back at my site at south mineral, let me know!
mtnmaneric
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 373
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmaneric »

Brad Snider wrote:Thanks. There are some snow slopes to contend with as soon as you get into the upper basin before getting to the lake. There are good steps kicked but I would at least have trekking poles along (I had my axe). There is also a wet log to cross the creek on near the beginning which was a little slick. A few more pics attached.
Thanks for the pics Brad. Where is that stream crossing? Is that right off the bat from the parking lot?

Anyone heading up there later this week, or weekend? I'm still holding out hope that it will be fine for the wife and me carrying my son in the pack for either Sunday or Monday. The forecast looks amazing all week, so there might be a huge amount of melt.
Brad Snider
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 72 4
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Brad Snider »

mtnmaneric wrote:
Brad Snider wrote:Thanks. There are some snow slopes to contend with as soon as you get into the upper basin before getting to the lake. There are good steps kicked but I would at least have trekking poles along (I had my axe). There is also a wet log to cross the creek on near the beginning which was a little slick. A few more pics attached.
Thanks for the pics Brad. Where is that stream crossing? Is that right off the bat from the parking lot?

Anyone heading up there later this week, or weekend? I'm still holding out hope that it will be fine for the wife and me carrying my son in the pack for either Sunday or Monday. The forecast looks amazing all week, so there might be a huge amount of melt.
mtnmaneric - The stream crossing is not right out of the parking lot, but it is pretty early on, after several early switchbacks.

One other note I forgot to mention--I originally tried the shortcut from the 4wd road instead of from the standard trailhead, and it doesn't work. Unless you are willing to get drenched going underneath the rushing waterfall with more waterfall below. Whatever path used to be there has been swept away it looks like.
mtnmaneric
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 373
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnmaneric »

Here's an update of what conditions looked like yesterday up in the Ice Lakes area. What a difference a week makes!
Ice Lake.jpg
Ice Lake.jpg (50.17 KiB) Viewed 780 times
Lower Basin.jpg
Lower Basin.jpg (72.64 KiB) Viewed 780 times
DesertDogESQ
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DesertDogESQ »

Brad Snider wrote:
mtnmaneric wrote:

mtnmaneric - The stream crossing is not right out of the parking lot, but it is pretty early on, after several early switchbacks.

One other note I forgot to mention--I originally tried the shortcut from the 4wd road instead of from the standard trailhead, and it doesn't work. Unless you are willing to get drenched going underneath the rushing waterfall with more waterfall below. Whatever path used to be there has been swept away it looks like.
That's odd about the 4wd road cut off. Is it just a matter of building a new impromptu log bridge at the foot of the waterfall (like it used to have)? Has anyone else tried the 4wd cutoff and found a way across?
Brad Snider
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 72 4
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Brad Snider »

I would imagine it can be crossed as-is when the water level is lower. When I was there June 12, there was just too much waterfall:

http://bradsnider.com/images/20160612/01-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also this picture doesn't depict the vertical drop-off and continuation of the waterfall below. I couldn't find an easy way around, but again with lower water levels it's probably cross-able. A new log bridge or something like that would definitely help.
Jonathan Deffenbaugh
14ers: 58 
13ers: 83
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jonathan Deffenbaugh »

I plan on being there next weekend since I wasn't able to go this weekend due to work and Masters homework. Going for all three (Fuller, Vermilion Pk, Golden Horn) in that order if you're interested in hooking up. Looking for a partner as well. U.S. Grant looks fun too!
DesertDogESQ
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DesertDogESQ »

Thanks Brad! That's the crossing, which I suspect with less run-off might be doable again. It's always been a little sketch, but workable.