Fletcher or Peak 10 conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Double Oh Seven
14ers: 19 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (5)

Fletcher or Peak 10 conditions

Post by Double Oh Seven »

Has anyone been up have a recent photo of fletcher mtn or 4th of july bowl. Im trying to get one more short snow climb or ski in but not sure if i am too late. Thanks!
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Fletcher or Peak 10 conditions

Post by AlexeyD »

Can't speak about Fletcher, but last year I skied 4OJ Bowl the very end of June, and it was still quite good (continuous snow from the summit of Peak 10, no suncups). As I recall, the road was blocked by a snow drift at about 11,500', but mostly melted out shortly after that.

EDIT I can't recall where, but I think I also saw a fairly recent (maybe a few days ago?) photo of the Tenmile range, showing the bowl pretty well-filled. Either way...as the name implies, it tends to hold snow for a good while.
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

Check out my conditions report for Fletcher from a couple weeks ago. The east face routes were super loaded with huge cornices when I was there, but I imagine they will be covered for a while.

I snowboarded from just below the summit of Peak 10 on July 12 last year, almost 700 vertical down to my car. It will be good for a while.
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Did the NW face (black & tan) yesterday on Fletcher and it was very good. Firm for climbing at 1030-12, perfect corn at 1.

Drift's NW face still looked good, the exit chute would be a bit sketch right now for skiing but for climbing purposes it could be fun. Throw in the traverse to Fletcher, descend that and you have yourself a great combo of steep snow climb, fun ridge scramble, and ski descent.

Update on other routes in the area: Atlantic's north col is in. Quandary's north col is in, Democrat's N face is stacked up higher, it looked like it went all the way to the bottom but it is hard to say. Polaris on Northstar is out of commission for skiing, might be good for climbing still but would be mixed at the top. Crystal's N face looked like it might still be in, but hard to tell and the bottom part may be out. Obviously cannot comment on actual snow conditions up close, just because they look white from a distance doesn't mean the snow will be good. Hope that helps!