CO Centennials Self-Powered Attempt

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

CO Centennials Self-Powered Attempt

Post by kwhit24 »

So I just found out about this through I friend that knows him and didn't see any other post about it but it is definitely worth a follow. http://www.1700mountainmiles.com/

100 highest peaks. 1700 miles. 65 days. He (Rob Barlow) is also raising money for the American Lung Association which is also awesome.

I'm sure people on here know more than I about this since I'm relatively new to posting on the site. I heard he starts July 1st (also on his Instagram) so best of luck to him! Kick some a**.
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: CO Centennials Self-Powered Attempt

Post by nsaladin »

Wow, Good luck Rob!
emgordon
14ers: 28 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by emgordon »

Good stuff! I hope to make it to the Longs Peak finisher party this year.
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

I met Robert on Lindsey one year, and recently talked to him about his plans. I was really impressed with the amount of scouting he put into this project and his knowledge of the routes. I really love the idea of the self-powered attempt for the centennials because it challenges you to pick the most graceful route through the peaks as you traverse across the state, and it requires a pretty intensive knowledge of the routes... The logistics for something like this can be a nightmare!

Anyway good luck Robert! I hope to be able to come out and support you a little bit this summer!
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Wow, this is a lot like your self-powered 14ers go way back when, Andrew.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

The GPS shows he started going up Challenger yesterday, aborted (or maybe it was just a 1 hour detour to scout) and went up Adams instead. 8 hours round trip.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Very cool! Good luck! Ron
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
kwhit24
14ers: 51  2 
13ers: 182 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by kwhit24 »

Since Rob starts this on Friday in the Sangre de Cristo's I wanted to give the thread a bump.

Good luck Rob! I'm sure a lot of people will be tracking your progress and hoping you the best of luck.
"In anticipation of tomorrow don't lose sight of today"

IG: kwhit.24
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Good luck to Rob, that is quite a feat and I hope he is successful!
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
andreasansone
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (1)

Post by andreasansone »

Rob!! I met you with Andrew on Lindsey those few years back! Good memory about me and the East Coast! Just dropping in to say good luck!! I can't wait to hear how this adventure goes and lets meet for drinks after your *successful* finish!!! go hard!
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”
RobLowe
14ers: 58  6  48 
13ers: 181 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RobLowe »

Long time ghost user (well before I added an account in 2014). Consequently, I'm sorry that I have no idea how to directly reply to folks. ](*,)

Andrew -- thanks for the vote of confidence and all your help with routes, beta, and miscellany.

Andrea -- drinks will be needed! (and welcomed).

Justiner -- I enjoyed your thread about 6 months ago about why hasn't anyone done the centennials as an fkt or self-powered fkt. Hope to meet you out there. And, you are right, this is reminiscent of Andrew's 2003 self-powered record (because that was the inspiration for why I'm going for it!).

Jdorje -- I was scoping out a possible East Face route that would allow me not to have to hike down Willow Lake basin from Challenger. Turns out I will have to do just that and then regain into the Adams basin, unfortunately.

Kwhit24, nsaladin, emgordon, san juan ron, and chicago transplant -- thank you all for your support. I'm stoked to get to play on top of 53 14ers and 47 13ers.

To those who love the blue arrow: https://share.delorme.com/RobBarlow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
To those who like their lungs and want to support a good cause: 1700mountainmiles.com. I'm trying to raise as much money as possible for the American Lung Association and left my job because this felt like a better way to help people.

Best to everyone this summer. Be safe and have fun out there.

Rob
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

Great! Now there at two blue arrows to watch.