Easy 13er's near Telluride

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
run100z
14ers: 42 
Trip Reports (3)

Easy 13er's near Telluride

Post by run100z »

Looking for some suggestions in the Telluride area to climb with my boys. 13ers that are fairly tame with no exposure. I know my way around the 14ers fairly well but am not familiar with the 13ers and want to avoid the crowds if possible. Thanks.
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Easy 13er's near Telluride

Post by kaiman »

See this thread from a few years ago: https://13ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39954" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Pick a 14er or 13er (1st and 3rd headers top of page) in the area, then look at the map to see those nearby and look at their trip reports. You can also sort by type, range, elevation, while seeing the route and TR numbers on the side.
http://www.14ers.com/13ers/13ers.php?di ... listd=list
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

You can walk up to Black Bear Pass and do Trico. North ridge of Trico does not go, but you can get to the Trico/13510B saddle from the road and walk up 13510B if you want to add it on.

There's a trail maybe a mile above the Bridal Veil Falls "parking" (room for 4-5 cars maybe) that gains the ridge of Telluride Peak and once on the ridge, it's pretty easy.

Also from the parking area you can go south and summit Wasatch and/or La Junta, both Class 2 but with a fair amount of cross-country tundra travel.

Apparently a trail goes up to Mendota.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake