T5 - Chicago - United States

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

T5 - Chicago - United States

Post by TravelingMatt »

Not a lot of info out there on these. Hoping to connect them. Do the ridges go? Intermittent 4th or less I mean. Apparently Mendota/T5 does not go on the Mendota side.

Edit: Sounds like T5/Chicago doesn't go either. What about Chicago/US?
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Re: T5 - Chicago - United States

Post by Boggy B »

Went US Mtn to "T 8" a few years ago.

The ridge from US Mtn to Pt. 13242 north of Chicago had a surprising bit of gnar. 3rd or 4th on choss flakes with bad exposure. In the end we were surprised to have found a way through. Something like this:

Didn't go to "T 5" but the ridge looked tough from the south. Perhaps bypasses on north side? Looks cool in any case:

Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

Trying to find a slightly less crap photo. Here's the same stretch from a different perspective:

TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Thanks. The T 7/8 ridge doesn't go, either. That whole area from Hayden to Sneffels, gotta pick those suckers off one at a time.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

TravelingMatt wrote:Thanks. The T 7/8 ridge doesn't go, either. That whole area from Hayden to Sneffels, gotta pick those suckers off one at a time.
We checked out T5 from Chicago once, it definitely didn't go. The loose choss bypass we started to try was horrible and we turned around figuring it wouldn't be a successful combo and be way too time consuming.

T7/8 actually does combine (just not on the ridge), if you drop of the ridge after climbing T7 and bypass the nasty step, its only 200' of reclimb to the saddle with T8, the first half of which is on smooth sailing grass. We did it from the Ouray side of the Imogene Pass Road.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

My brother and I were able to combine Mendota and T5 from Governor Basin. We went up to the saddle (which is part of the Hardrock 100 route), and the ridge to T5 was easy. We went back to the saddle and dropped to about 12,900' in Marshall Basin to get around the difficulties on the east ridge of Mendota.

I'm impressed with Boggy B's route to connect Point 12242 and United States. I had climbed up to the flat area west of that saddle from Imogene Basin, and decided the downclimb into that saddle was too hard for me. 13095 is a fairly easy side trip off the main ridge (just some tedious talus), and the ridge south from Point 12242 to Chicago is easy.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.