Pacific Peak's North Couloir Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Pacific Peak's North Couloir Conditions?

Post by atalarico »

Hey all,

I was literally just up in that area last weekend doing a traverse from Dyer to Peak 10, and a friend of mine asked if I want to climb Pacific's North Couloir this weekend. I took some photos of Pacific, but none showing the whole couloir. I vaguely recall looking at the couloir, but kind of remember the couloir being broken up a bit toward the top, but like I said, vaguely recall. I wasn't thinking I'd be climbing it the following weekend, so does anyone have any recent beta on the North Couloir? I know this time of year can be iffy, and we're definitely OK (hoping) for a bit of alpine ice, but definitely not hoping for 55 degree dirt/scree.

Thanks in advance!
LIV
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 128
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Pacific Peak's North Couloir Conditions?

Post by LIV »

I did Helen to Dyer to Crystal on Sunday and may have a picture or two (not sure). I'll take a look tonight, and if I do, I'll post tomorrow.
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

LIV wrote:I did Helen to Dyer to Crystal on Sunday and may have a picture or two (not sure). I'll take a look tonight, and if I do, I'll post tomorrow.
Sweet, thanks! Also, that's so funny because I did Dyer to Crystal to 10 on Sunday too! I saw someone up on the Dyer ridge at some point later in the morning (like 10:30 or 11?). I got up to Dyer, and while it's a fun little scramble, I was wayyy more intrigued Helen's ridge!
LIV
Trip Reports (21)

Post by LIV »

I posted those couple of pics under the Peak Conditions. It does look like it's still in, but thin.
atalarico
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

LIV wrote:I posted those couple of pics under the Peak Conditions. It does look like it's still in, but thin.
Cool, I'll check them out. I managed to grab one before I realized you were moving them. We're hoping for a bit of alpine ice, and thin usually means it'll get closer to that...but then it also means that it might just be melted out into nothing...which is way less fun/safe.

Cheers!
LIV
Trip Reports (21)

Post by LIV »

Yeah - it does look like there might be a little ice - good luck!