Parnassus/Bard/Robeson/Engleman/Woods

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Parnassus/Bard/Robeson/Engleman/Woods

Post by sunny1 »

PaliKona wrote:Question for ascending Parnassus from Watrous Gulch: I've read TRs about how the trail fades away. Does that happen before treeline, thus requiring bushwacking up to the ridge/saddle?
Yes, the trail fades away near treeline.
Very, very minor bushwhacking up to the saddle between Parnassus and Woods.
Great hike!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Thanks! So it's obvious where to go once the trail fades?
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

I don't think you can it call it bushwhacking...its just simple hiking on grass/dirt . And +1 on it being super obvious where to go.
Vincit Qui Patitur
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

Thanks all! I just got Wednesday off, and I'm going to do this thing. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

SolarAlex wrote:I don't think you can it call it bushwhacking...its just simple hiking on grass/dirt . And +1 on it being super obvious where to go.
+1

you pass between a few trees, but its very simple
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
LarryM
14ers: 27 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (3)

Post by LarryM »

Great day in the mountains, marred only by some poor route finding on the return. I did summit all 4 of the 13ers, though I skipped the 2 12ers. I saw only two people all day, LakesNPasses early on and one other person near the end.

I may write it up later so that others can learn from my mistakes.

Thanks again all for the beta.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

I'm planning on doing Parnassus and Bard on Friday, and was wondering if anyone's done or knows whether it's feasible to take the Bard Creek trail to the shelf on the SE ridge of Parnassus, and then climbing that ridge. Is that a route? It seems like I've seen it mentioned somewhere before, but I can't remember where.

EDIT: Nevermind, just found it in the CMC Front Range Hikes guidebook.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir