Ice Lake Basin

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
geoffirons
14ers: 35  2 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Ice Lake Basin

Post by geoffirons »

Haven't seen any recent reports/conditions updates. Anyone been up Fuller/Vermilion/Golden Horn/Pilot Knob this month? Advice on conditions, need for ice axe, would be appreciated.
Thanks very much!
Geoff

Apologies: forgot I read SnowAlien's comment about lots of snow at Fuller/Vermilion saddle. How about Vermilion/Golden Horn saddle?
Geoff Irons
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Ice Lake Basin

Post by TravelingMatt »

I posted this pic on the condition reports and in a another thread from about a week ago.
Vermilion Group 7/4/16
Vermilion Group 7/4/16
vermilion_jul4.jpg (212.17 KiB) Viewed 874 times
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
geoffirons
14ers: 35  2 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (6)

Post by geoffirons »

Thanks Matt. Saw that too, but was hoping for a little more specific info.
Geoff Irons
Black Bear
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Black Bear »

I climbed Ulysses S. Grant on Monday and it was completely dry ( a few minor snowfields, but definitely no equipment required). V2, V3, and V4 were dry as well. Pilot Knob and Golden Horn looked like they had some snow that you would have to cross in areas. Fuller and Vermillion seemed to have quite a bit of snow in the basin leading up to the saddle between them. I would recommend bringing an axe and/or crampons though just to be safe
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

Awesome info, I will be there next week looking to get my kids on their first summit, looks like V2 instead of Fuller, thank you OP for starting the thread and thank you to all the responses! Really appreciate it!
C-Shepguy
14ers: 19  2 
13ers: 44 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by C-Shepguy »

Matt, I think Beattie is marked wrong on that image. I think it's actually off-image left. Not sure what that little hump is. I figured you'd want to know, since you made the image and you're probably a map freak like me.
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

C-Shepguy wrote:Matt, I think Beattie is marked wrong on that image. I think it's actually off-image left.
It may be V8 (and then we can start the argument over what peak should be called V8). I shot that from the northeast, from the summit of Proposal (the peak south of Emery), so it makes sense to have something behind the Fuller/Vermilion col. It is definitely not Rolling or San Miguel, which were off to the left.

I had another look at Vermilion from afar today and not much had changed. I may be summiting something closer to there tomorrow; I'll post pics if I do.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
TravelingMatt
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Here ya go
Vermin Group 7/16/16
Vermin Group 7/16/16
vermilion_jul16.jpg (281.4 KiB) Viewed 537 times
CCU_Jim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 92
Trip Reports (3)

Post by CCU_Jim »

Looks like quite a bit of melting in the last 12 days! Thanks for the beta. This is giving me hope for my Vermilion attempt in a week.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I wouldn't count on the Vermillion snowfield to be melted in a week. It was the same thing when we climbed it in mid-July couple years ago. We needed an ice ax and at least microspikes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH8XXqfAfEO/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HULKHIKEGOOD
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (2)

Post by HULKHIKEGOOD »

I will be there all next week if someone is looking for a partner, shoot me a pm!