13er Recommendations in the Sawatch

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ashley
Trip Reports (0)

13er Recommendations in the Sawatch

Post by Ashley »

We have 24 hours of kid-free time next weekend, and have our sights on a 13er or 13er traverse in the Sawatch (we've done all the 14ers and a handful of 13ers). Looking for a nice Class 2 or 2+ walkup, or an easy traverse. Mainly looking for beauty and solitude. What do you suggest?? So far, I have my sights set on Grizzly, Oklahoma, Savage, or the French-Casco traverse. Thanks in advance!
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: 13er Recommendations in the Sawatch

Post by desertdog »

Hi Ashley,

Of the ones you are looking at, I liked French-Casco traverse. The walk up the road is not that great, but once you get in the basin it is beautiful. The traverse looks a hard, but it pretty easy once you get into it.

Also, Mount Hope is a nice one as well. I did it with snow and it was fun!

Richard
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Black Bear
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Black Bear »

Mt. Ouray, Mt. Oklahoma, or the 3 Apostles
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

If you have a Wrangler or short 4x4 you can drive up into the basin for Casco-French.
You can by pass the nasty rocks right after the creek crossing.
gorshkov
14ers: 39 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gorshkov »

Apostles could be fun, but definitely not a class 2/2+ walkup. If you climb Ouray, I recommend the east ridge route from Gray's Creek. The traverse from Garfield to Grizzly is fun. Also there's good car camping spots along the road to the McNasser gulch TH.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Notch Mountain is a good one and the view of Holy Cross is superb. It's a popular hike, but not nearly as much as the standard 14er routes.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.