Easy sawatch 12-13ers?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
KevinK
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 212
Trip Reports (7)

Easy sawatch 12-13ers?

Post by KevinK »

Can anyone recommend some quick easy 12ers or (preferably) 13ers in the sawatch area? Running out of town for a last minute peak mission and could use some ideas. I've done 200 peaks over 13k in Colorado so no problem with no trail, scrambling preffered, whatever really. Just can't drive up anything easily subaru-able and don't want to do a huge distance due to healing plantar fasciitis. Prefferably around Indy or cottonwood passes.
Oh mama ain't it good to be alive
On your mountaintop and feeling high

-Railroad Earth
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Easy sawatch 12-13ers?

Post by TravelingMatt »

KevinK wrote:Prefferably around Indy or cottonwood passes.
Looks like you've done all the ones from Indy and Cottonwood.

Take the road back to Huron (Winfield) and tick off as many peaks to the east (the Virginia group) as you have time for. I did all seven in one hike. Or do the Cyclone/Carbonate group from the south.
Last edited by TravelingMatt on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

It depends on which part of the Sawatch you want. If you want scrambling what about Fools Peak or Gold Dust? If they are too long, maybe New York Mountain would be worth a try (I don't know the condition of the road though). That area is much more scenic than most of the southern or central parts of the Sawatch.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
summitwolf
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 164 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by summitwolf »

Rinker from Willis Gulch would make a nice outing. The TH is right off the road and there is a solid trail most of the way up the drainage. If you were feeling up to it, you could also get Twin Peaks B and Twin Peaks B Northeast and do a loop back to the TH. Nice area.
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”

― Henry David Thoreau, Walden
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

Byers? Does that count as the Sawatch?
IG: jc_solitude
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Turner Peak north of Cottonwood Pass isn't too bad, although you have to climb a few hundred feet on the way out (over ranked 12er UN 12581). I managed it a few weeks before my lymphoma diagnosis, so how hard could it be?
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump