Father Dyer vs. Pacific East ridge with a dog

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Father Dyer vs. Pacific East ridge with a dog

Post by AyeYo »

Both of these appear to have some light scrambling. Is either of them not doable by a dog (vertical slab, knife edge, something physically impossible for a dog to walk on)? Assuming they're both doable, which one does everyone like better? Pacific looks a little bit more difficult and might be more fun - hard to really tell from the sparse pictures on the peak pages though.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Father Dyer vs. Pacific East ridge with a dog

Post by AlexeyD »

AyeYo wrote:Both of these appear to have some light scrambling. Is either of them not doable by a dog (vertical slab, knife edge, something physically impossible for a dog to walk on)? Assuming they're both doable, which one does everyone like better? Pacific looks a little bit more difficult and might be more fun - hard to really tell from the sparse pictures on the peak pages though.
As always - it depends on the dog. Personally, I wouldn't take mine on either of those (both definitely have some steep and very exposed sections) - but I generally don't take her on anything 3rd class or harder.

As for which one is better: I think both are great. You are correct that Pacific is a bit harder - mostly just by virtue of being longer and more sustained. The descent is also a little more involved (some route-finding required and a bit of loose rock to content with); basically if you're looking for a longer and "fuller" day, that's the one to go; if you want short and sweet with easy access and retreat, Father Dyer fits the bill.
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Is one or the other easier for route finding? I'm figuring if I can at least get him up Pacific, I can head over to Atlantic, then down through the basin. Only issue is I'll be solo, so can't pass him off to anyone if there's anything too steep to get him up... unless someone else is free this weekend and feels like teaming up.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

You want a nice hike for the dog and you, Peak 10 to Crystal to Fr. Dyer is a good one. None of the terrain is very difficult and there are numerous lines you could take to connect the dots.

How big a day depends on how far up you start.

If you want a really big day, tack on Mt. Helen, but be ready for some scrambling on the ridge from Dyer to Helen.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

Do you loop it or out and back? Is there any good camping in that Crystal Creek basin area? That's actually what I'm most interested in is camping this weekend. I was going to stay at Hoosier and drive in, but if I can stay right near the trail head, that'd be even better. What's that Francie's Cabin thing on the map?

That does sound like a nice way to knock out a few 13ers. If it's a loop... any reason to not do it in reverse so I'm going up the Dyer scramble rather than down?
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

AyeYo wrote: If it's a loop... any reason to not do it in reverse so I'm going up the Dyer scramble rather than down?
You can make it a loop if you want. It will make it harder and longer because the leg from Helen to Dyer is more real work.

We climbed it by driving up to all the great camping at or near Crystal Lake. There are tons of nice places to do that, without many people around. One spot is right near the cabin on nice soft grass. :) Our route went straight up the valley to the Dyer Crystal ridge, over to Dyer, back to Crystal and on to Peak 10. There are plenty of bailout options if the weather turns. My attempt to do Helen to Dyer was weathered out but it looked as if you could drop back into the basin from some points on that ridge as well.

The big loop would start lower so that you could ascend Helen first.

Remember that these are just infrequently climbed 13ers and the trail is not always obvious. Doesn't matter though; most ways will work.

Have fun, it's a nice place.
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Also, Francie's cabin is linked to a photo in Google earth. Click and look.

The cabin I mentioned is an old miner's cabin. The basin up there has at least two and maybe three. There are lots of old mining trails up there as well.

To your other point, if you drive up above Hoosier Pass, there is great camping very high up there, with access to Northstar and the ridge beyond which is also a nice hike similar to what you're looking for.
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
pak
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 192 2 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pak »

AyeYo,

highpilgrim mentions the ridge from Helen to Father Dyer; this is a really fun ridge, but I don't think it is the place for a dog. There is one step-over with exposure on both sides (photo #15 in the route description):

Route:
http://14ers.com/route.php?route=hele9&type=13ers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Step over:
http://14ers.com/usercontent/13ers/rout ... le9_15.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't remember any viable bailout options to the north from this ridge.

You mention Pacific and Atlantic - an option here, which would likely accommodate your dog, would be to climb Pacific via the north ridge route (Roach 4.11 p. 62), traverse to Atlantic, and descend via the west ridge. I do not climb with a dog but this route is a nice loop that does not exceed class 2.

Have a great hike in whatever you choose; this is certainly a beautiful area so close to the front range.
Phil
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

highpilgrim wrote:One spot is right near the cabin on nice soft grass. :)
Sweet baby jesus. That seems to be the holy grail of camping around here. I'm getting tired of camping in ash pits. :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions. That one sounds like a winner. How long of a pack in am I looking at or will a Prius and some driving skills make it to the lake?
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

pak wrote:highpilgrim mentions the ridge from Helen to Father Dyer; this is a really fun ridge, but I don't think it is the place for a dog.
I agree.
pak wrote:You mention Pacific and Atlantic - an option here, which would likely accommodate your dog, would be to climb Pacific via the north ridge route
It's worth knowing that there is a steep funky little notch right below the summit that will come as a surprise you may not like.

Also, I've climbed both from McCullough Gulch and and the same thing applies here. Although bring an axe because the snowfield below the ridge lingers. There is a steep loose gulley you can use to avoid it, but take it from me, it was not fun.

The rest is a breeze.
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
AyeYo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

pak wrote:AyeYo,

highpilgrim mentions the ridge from Helen to Father Dyer; this is a really fun ridge, but I don't think it is the place for a dog. There is one step-over with exposure on both sides (photo #15 in the route description):

Route:
http://14ers.com/route.php?route=hele9&type=13ers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Step over:
http://14ers.com/usercontent/13ers/rout ... le9_15.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't remember any viable bailout options to the north from this ridge.
That looks like an awesome ridge route, but definitely not with the dog if I'm solo.

I've done Atlantic west before and the camping in and around Mayflower is kind of sparse and exposed, so I'd prefer to say on the east side.
pak
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 192 2 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pak »

@highpilgrim,

Good reminder - I think this is the notch you mention...
http://14ers.com/php14ers/uphoto.php?pi ... muser=6225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, it may come as a surprise.
Phil